Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jbmerrill
Adept I

2290wx pbo and ram

Hello,

I am unable to get my RAM to be stable above 2666Mhz with either Performance Boost Overdrive, or Performance Enhancer (Level3) enabled.  From what I know, these are preferred to manual static O.C.  I get frequent random O.S. crashes and Cinebench crashes the computer immediately.  I  have tried everything I can think of including DRAM and SoC voltage increases, Load Line Calibration, Looser RAM timings and various other settings to no avail.

Below is a snippit from a posting about someone with the same problem, but he was able to solve it by finding a UEFI setting on his ASUS motherboard.

I am looking for advice on some UEFI settings that may be similar or other to help me be able to run my RAM at a higher speed while also using PBO or Perf Enhancer. I have a single very high quality 128GB (8x16GB) G.skill 3200Mhz C14 Quad channel RAM kit (Samsung B-dies) that should be able to function at 2933Mhz, (used to work with the 2950x), but won't.

I upgraded my CPU recently from a 2950x to a 2990wx and this is when the problems began, so there is probably something to do with the 2990wx memory controller causing this. I have tested each of my RAM modules individually, and they all test good. Also, when I only run 1/2 the RAM (64GB), everything seems to run just fine with both PBO/Enhancer and 2933Mhz RAM.

I am able to run the RAM at 2933, but not if I O.C. the CPU (PBO).

Following is the snippit about the ASUS Motherboard UEFI settings:

Apr '19
Time for a sunshine update!

Me and a friend spent all evening in and out of BIOS and AIDA64, refusing to accept the 1833mhz clockspeed. Accidentally we stumbled across the ?RAM Current Capability (CHA, CHB)??and ??CHC, CHD)??which has a tooltip that says something along the lines of ?ncrease this value if you?e stresstesting the memory or if you?e running high density configurations?? This setting can be found inside ?weakers paradise??in the BIOS, and so naturally we went ahead and ramped the value up from 100% to 120% and gave 2133mhz a go with 14-14-14-34 timings.

Everything went fine, and we continued to increase incrementally until finally we hit 2933mhz at 14-14-14-34. It is stable enough to continuously run AIDA64 benchmarks, which is all I was hoping for basically. I could do a memtest86 run as well, but honestly I don? want to waste a whole day doing that.

Over to the fun part! AIDA64 memory benchmarks running at 2933mhz with 14-14-14-34 timings:
End Snippit

So, if there is anything you can advice me on for this to get it to work, I would be extremely grateful. Please let me know what additional info. you may need from me.

Thank you
Asrock X399 Pro Gaming, 2990wx Threadripper,128GB G.Skill RGB 3200 C14,EVGA 1200 P2,EVGA GTX 1080 Ti x 2 SLI, Enermax Liqtech 360mm,Samsung 970 EVO/960 Pro/850 EVOs, Toshiba x300 HDDs, Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
0 Likes
4 Replies

This is your Motherboard's Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming QVL List : ASRock > Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming 

I highlighted all of G-Skill 3200 Speed RAM MEMORY. If you noticed, some are compatible on 2 DIMM Slots while others are compatible on 4 DIMM Slots. The only 16 Gbyte RAM MEMORY is only compatible on 2 DIMM Slots on the motherboard:

It is a very good chance the RAM you have is only compatible on 4 DIMM Slots which is why it works fine but not on 8 DIMM slots.

As I am looking at the QVL List, Nearly all of G-Skill RAM that are listed, the maximum DIMM Slots that it is compatible with are 2 or 4 DIMM Slots. I also looked at ALL the 3200 RAM modules and all are compatible only on 2 or 4 DIMM Slots none at 8 Dimm slots.

At lower RAM Speeds there were several RAM Modules that was compatible on all 8 DIMM Slots. The highest I found was this one on the list:

I suggest you open a ASRock Support ticket to see if your motherboard supports your RAM and also a ticket with G-Skill to see if it is compatible with your motherboard on all 8 DIMM Slots.

0 Likes

Hi, I did open a support ticket with ASRock specifying my configuration and asking basically the same question about perhaps some UEFI settings that could help.  I was told they would forward the ticket to headquarters and get back to me.  I am able to run all 128GB of my RAM at 2933Mhz stable, but only  if I don't O.C. the CPU, even with just PBO or Performance Enhancer.  I do see what you mean about the support on the QVL list and will have to get back to you once I learn more.

Thanks very much for your reply.

B.

qbtheslayer
Challenger

I also highly advise not using Performance Enhancer with PBO...  I used to do this since it seemed the right thing to do, but Performance Enhancer is a form of PBO and adding the two together just creates more power draw and more heat with negative performance gains.  Use one or the other...  On my 3rd gen Ryzen PBO is better performing and cooler, but I am not sure about your platform...  the best thing to do is test both separately with something like Cinebench R20 and then test both together...  monitor temps and clocks each test, and I am sure you will come to the same conclusion I did.

QB

0 Likes

Hi, it is not possible in my UEFI to specify BOTH the PBO and Performance Enhancer options at the same time, but just one or the other.  There is also a Performance Bias that I don't understand as this option just has something called Config1.  Let me do more research and testing, and I will try to update this thread with what I find.

Thank you much.

0 Likes