Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

1950x T20 screwdriver wrong size

So I picked up my 1950x and my MSI X399 MOBO today and the store verifies that the pins are not bent so we opened up the 1950x package and got the T20 driver out and the bit is significantly smaller then the actual screws, it spins freely inside the head of the screw. So it is way to small to even open the plate to get the CPU installed. They ended up using their T20 driver and opened it and sure enough it worked fine but I now have a Torx screwdriver that doesn't even work what so ever. How would I go about getting the proper one from AMD?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: 1950x T20 screwdriver wrong size

looks like you got a returned item that is missing some parts

seems to be a growing problem with CPUs that cost > $150

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Well I had to wait like two weeks for it to come in and the place I bought it from doesn’t keep a stock on hand of these boards they are an order only item. It came in the day I picked it up and they themselves opened it in front of me just to check the pins in the board as they do with all boards. We ended up just using a proper T20 and seated the CPU and it’s all up and running fine but I figured I may want to get the proper tool. Does the tool come with two bits? Mine just has the one that’s in the key and it doesn’t come out nor look like there’s a place for a second but to sit in the packaging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

At least you got your CPU installed without needing 2 bottles of Excedrin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Pretty sure the tool comes with the CPU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

It does I got the 1950x along with it it had the tool wrong size clearly though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

the store verifies that the pins are not bent

The CPU is LGA, not PGA, there are no pins to bend. Are you sure the store didn't steal it, replacing it with one of their drivers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yup, I’m the one that opened the CPU case and pulled the torx key out.. they did it right in front of me. The tool has an not in it it’s torx but it’s waaay smaller then the actual screws. They even went and got a proper T20 from their service dept and showed me and theirs worked fine. I have the one that came in the box. It says threadripper on it and everything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

amdmatt​ have you heard anything like this happening?

0 Kudos