cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 1600X overheating in ONE game? Stock on water.

I've tested this game on my 1800X and see no noticeable difference in temperature.

What settings are you using? Is there a Physx option? That may increase CPU usage/

randa71
Adept III

so these are my results: Ryzen 1700X Tctl=73° Tdie=53° Gpu (1070GTX) 82°, no throttling and no shutdown...settings: all max, and vsync off, which loads CPU more than vsync on..first 20 minutes of the game..

0 Kudos
randa71
Adept III

Noctua Nh d15 for me Top cooler! Profile fan in bios (c6h) silent mode...

0 Kudos
reylegh
Adept I

Hi, so I found the culprit, but I don't understand the reason behind it.

In the Nvidia control panel physix were set to run on CPU, and that caused the CPU to overheat. I set it to GPU and now I reached 74 after over 30 minutes which is ok.

Now what I don't understand - Physics loads a lot of the CPU, ok, but stress testing loads 100% of the CPU and did not reach this temperature, what is different?100% cpu usage is 100% cpu usage....how can one usage heat it more than another one?

reylegh
Adept I

found the reason - physix were set to run on CPU on the nvidia control panel.

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

its all in the coding. like prime 95 loads 100% but its very extremely hard on cpu and really shouldnt be used. and runs hot hot.. aida64 loads 100% and not as hot. its all about the coding..

0 Kudos
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

I did a test last night and was just about to post this CPU Physics "fix" which also happens on a 7700K I have - on an 360 AIO - so it doesn't seem to be just on Ryzen CPUs. It is indeed strange as you said that the system will undergo other torture tests, but start to throttle within 5 minutes of running with NV's Physics options CPU bound. Luckily I don't use this system much or I'd search on the NV forums for answers.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

That is most strange, but thanks for letting us know it's not just a Ryzen thing.

ray_m

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

It is not as pronounced as the OP's case, but going from normal P95 stress temps (~52 - 55C) to CPU bound physics (~83C) is much higher than what I'm used to. Disabling the physics option in Last Light Redux drops the running temps to the low 70's.  If I'm not mistaken Batman Arkham does a number on physics too, I'd love to see someone test that out for the heck of it.

reylegh
Adept I

I will install batman A. and check it. This will take some time, as my network is very slow (new buildings, no cables yet...).