cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

1600X overheating in ONE game? Stock on water.

Hi,

my 1600X keeps overheating in metro last light redux. In all stress tests I am barely crossing 71 degrees, but in that one particular game the PC did even shut down cause of the heat reaching over 85+ on CPU. The CPU was overclocked stable to 4GHz, but for testing this one case I returned to stock and the problem is the same.

Is anyone here aware of a problem with that one game that could cause this?

16GB DDR4 2933MHzMSI x370 krait gaming
1080ti Asus Strix OC
2 inhaling 1400mm 750rpm fans
1 exhaling 1000rpm 120mm fan
1 cooler with exhale 1800rpm 120mm fan

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: 1600X overheating in ONE game? Stock on water.

amdmatt​ can we have an official word on the thermal maximum for Ryzen chips? Last thing I see is from Whats the maximum allowed Temperature of Ryzen 1800X CPU? which is from March.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

75C or lower is a safe temperature at stock clocks. The CPU will shut down at around 95c.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

That's not really my question. I have safe temp of 71 even on full stress test with 100% load and no game can cross the temperature above 75 even when overclocked. But one game is causing the CPU to reach higher temps than that, up to the temp where it shuts down the system. After just 20 minutes of this game the CPU was at 82 degrees which is far more than any stress test or other game could every cause, and the CPU is not even at 100% load in it. So the question is, can it be that this game is causing some problems by itself? And if yes, can I do something?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Which CPU? X or non X? 95° for X Cpu (with offset) is 75 for non X CPU. I know that X CPU when TCTL reaches 95° start thermal throttling. Not Shutdown. For example in stress test i have seen reaching sometimes 84° but CPU was still in Turbo (1700X 3.5 GHZ).. it didn't reduce clock.  I expect that if CPU with 95° starts shutdown, tries to reduce clock before shutdown...So i'd expect that CPU with 84° start thermal throttling if at 95° shutdown.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

All of them.

I would suggest dialing back on your overclock.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

To whom should I write that will actually think about maybe an external reason for the problem? My CPU is on stock and does not cross 71 no matter how much I stress it, yet that one game causes it to go up till shutdown. Maybe we need an optimization patch for it? Most hilariously is that it reaches over 200frames, but even setting vsync on to stop it at 144 to match the refresh rate does not decrease the temperature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

NO overclock....CPU is at default....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Tonight i will give a try to see if also my CPU (1700X) overheat....i have that game. A question: 85° is it a peak, a spike? or is it costant?

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

What cooling do you have? (Just curious)
Also is the fan set up with smart speed to rise to 100% at a certain temperature? The default settings on my MB were set at 85 for the fans, did you check these settings (I have set all to blow 100% at 70/71 degrees)? Also do you have a positive pressure in your case (can cause a lot of trouble, especially if it's not on water)? Also did you change the default thermal paste that was on the cooler (If not I would look around to confirm the default is of good quality, or try to change it for an mx-4 or better just to see the result)?

0 Kudos