Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ft66
Journeyman III

128GB ram with new processors

Greetings ^_^
Is there any way to get 128GB RAM with Ryzen 9/new ryzen 5-7? Not sure is ECC memory with 32gb per module will work properly.
Wanna build powerful workstation, 64gb is not enough

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

ft66, don't know but suggest you ask your MB vendor.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

In case I will need to purchase ECC memory on ebay 1st - I want to be sure that anyone was succeed in this XD

0 Likes

You need to go to the Motherboard's QVL List for RAM Memory concerning the 3rd generation processors. There on the list it should show you how many RAM sticks, depending on the Frequencies, you can install that will be compatible with your motherboard. 

I have seen on some QVL list for RAM where at certain frequencies it is only compatible with 2 sticks while on others 4 sticks or more.

You can check on the QVL list if the memory listed is ECC compatible or not. You can open a Support ticket with the motheboard's manufacturer to find out if the motherboard supports ECC RAM Memory or not.

0 Likes

Thank you for your answer. I think I already managed how to solve my question. 
It's look like all new x570 motherboard is able by default to use ECC. At least those one that I saw. In this case - I'm ok ^^

0 Likes

Ryzen processors are not designed to use ECC memory

it will work but the extra parity is ignored

0 Likes

The 32GB sticks I have seen have 32 chips on them in 2 rows on each side and I am not sure if they will work on Ryzen or not as nobody has tried them AFAIK

0 Likes

In any way, I don't see any way to use ryzen9 without server memory (a.k.a. 32 per stick). So I think I will purchase 1 stick and will test it with new motherboard. 

0 Likes

I recall G.Skill had some 32GB sticks for an Intel board that only had 2 memory slots. I am not sure if anybody else did it.

Right now 16GB DDR4 is widely available and the larger 32GB might surface in Q4 2019 or maybe 2020.

0 Likes

Corsair has surfaced with new 32GB DDR4 sticks, but they are very expensive

0 Likes