cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

AvercromXD
Adept I

M2 Not recognized on first boot up after upgrading to Ryzen 7 5800X3D (again)

Hello,

(Original post: https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building/m2-not-recognized-on-first-boot-up-after-upgrading-to-ryzen...)

a few months ago I upgraded to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D from my old Ryzen 5 2600. Now I have this issue, every time I start my PC after it has been off for a while (like half an hour or so), it doesn't recognize my M2 SSD, which is my boot drive so it boots into BIOS. After restarting it works just fine, but it is kinda annoying because the restart takes some time. I tried resetting the BIOS and updating the firmware of my M2 SSD. It worked fine last week for the last few years. I updated my BIOS to the latest version before upgrading the CPU. Is there something else I can try?

Update: So after I changed the CMOS battery it worked for a bit and I thought hurray problem solved (so I updated the old post). But then it started again. Because I booted from my other SATA SSD (to Linux instead of Windows on the M2) I did not notice it. A week or so ago, I reflashed the newest BIOS version and it recognized my M.2. SSD for the last few days. Again I thought problem solved. But yesterday my SATA SSD wasn't recognized and this happened again today, which is annoying because I boot my system from there. So any suggestions on how to fix it? I have no ideas anymore... Could my motherboard be broken?

Steps taken:

1. Reflashing the BIOS version

2. Changing the CMOS battery (which also reset the CMOS memory)

3. I don't think it is an issue with my SSDs because now the M.2. SSD is recognized consistently and the SATA is not

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RX 5700XT

MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

M2: WD Black SN850

PSU: be quiet 650W 

Let me know if you guys need more information 🙂 and thanks for your help!

4 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

Where is the AC to the power supply connected? Is it from a power source that is being interrupted? (ie. a power strip that is switched off?)

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

Yes its a power strip that I switch off every night. The problem comes back after I switch this power strip off for a while.

A power strip shouldn't be causing this issue (I suspect the motherboard is at fault), but you could try another power strip.  I would also try another SATA port for your SSD - you likely have at least four of them on the motherboard.  You did say that the M.2 drive appears to be working properly.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Normally a CMOS battery lasts for many years in a motherboard with no external power source connected, however when you cut power to the strip something seems to be draining yours causing the BIOS to lose settings.

You can confirm by checking the battery with a volt meter, a fresh CR2025/2032 should be 3.2 - 3.3V and a depleted one somewhere less than 3V.

As to the fix, the easiest one would be stop turning off the power strip every night, then the BIOS won't reset every time you turn it on.

Otherwise you'll need to track down what is draining the battery. Could be something on the motherboard itself, a faulty power supply or possibly an accessory connected to the system that is pulling power even when turned off.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT