cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

paez17
Adept II

5900x is only stable in 65w eco mode

I have similar problem since i bought this cpu 2 years ago. That time i solved problem by changing offset voltage and used system without a problem for 2 years. 

Then i upgraded my 6800xt to 6950xt. after i changed my graphics card the problem occured again. problem is pc going into black screen under load, monitor loses signal, pc gonna into sleep, red cpu error  light shines on mobo and only way to recover shutting computer through psu and open again. 

i updated bios (b450 tomahawk) and made same offset voltage trick but nothing changed. i tried all the pbo modes, it's only stable in eco mode 45 or 65w, even in eco mode 95w isnt stable. ıf turn off pbo, cpu is stable again. 

so i cant use my cpu to its limit, i guess i have a performance drop nearly %10-15 with eco mode. i cant find a stable setting for working its factory settings.

it's not about  psu (1200 w platinium), it's not about temps (water cooling),  it's about bios and voltage settings of mobo, so what do you think, why same settings worked for 2 years are not working now because of graphics card change. i am sick and tired of these black screens and limitting pc power.

13 Replies
MikeySCT
Challenger

You'd failed to mention what mobo you're using. I'd recently upgraded my CPU from a 3900X to a 5900X, with my RX 6900 XT. System specs in my sig, an X570 mobo....

Since my BIOS supports the Ryzen 5k series already, it was a simple matter of swapping the CPUs (and obviously reapplying thermal paste) and my system was up and running, easy peasy. Pretty sure when I get back, swapping the RX 6900 XT for the RX 7900 XTX would be a cinch.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
MADZyren
Paragon

In general, if your machine does not work on default settings, there is something wrong. Computers do not need special settings to run if component are ok and compatible.

If you have some Ryzen Master or similar, set it to default settings. If you have any other overclocking software, uninstall it and maybe uninstall even RM. Next...

Unplug computer from wall socket, wait until all the LEDs from motherboard stop emitting light (=capacitors are empty). Then clear CMOS (unplug CMOS battery, join pins or maybe your motherboard has a button for it)

Now start the machine. Give it some time. What happens?

Also:

- What brand/model/year is your PSU? Any component can also be broken, like PSU, motherboard or CPU.
- What are your temps when under normal gaming load or under some benchmark? How about on idle? Water cooling works only if... if it works.
- What is your memory configuration? Tight settings can be unstable at high CPU clock speed while stable at lower one.
- How does instability present itself and under which circumstances? Could it be software related? Did you do a clean operating system installation when you got that CPU two years ago?

0 Likes

thanks for your reply.

my psu is fps 1200 aurum, i dont think it's about psu. the problem  doesnt occur under heavy load, even i am in the menu of fifa 23 i got black screens. sometimes i found a setting and pc runs torture tests without a problem but still crashes in gaming. 

and it's not about temps, i have nzxt  x73 and my cpu is always below 50 degree. 

to be sure that problem isnt memory related i dropped ram configurations to the 2400mhz or other configurations, i still have black screens so ram's are fine.

it's about bios (its latest) or mobo (maybe b450 chipset)  and the voltages my mobo gives (giving 0.05 offset voltage to cpu solved problem before) or maybe faulty cpu (i dont think so). it's strange that  i found a working voltage settings and i used cpu on its maximum power for 2 years, but that's not working with the same hardware anymore. 

0 Likes

Hmmm, crashes during games? Didcha update DX runtime? Normally, when I install a game, if it requires some older DX Runtime libraries from legacy DirectX SDK, it would automatically install needed legacy DirectX SDK. But who knows, sometimes MS messes up....that's all I can think of barring hardware issues/incompatibility.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes
FluffyToaster
Journeyman III

Hi paez17,

I made an account on this forum just to say that I have the same problem! In some very specific scenarios, my monitor loses signal, and the PC becomes unresponsive (though the RGB stays on). I can only restart it by cutting the power. There are no error logs left by specific applications that hint at what happens (only a Windows "Kernel Panic" event due to the power cut shutdown).

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: 5900X
GPU: RTX 3080
PSU: 850W Corsair (much less beefy than yours, but I agree with you that this is not a power issue)

For me, the situations in which it occurs are very random: often in Blender, sometimes in DaVince Resolve, or in very specific games (not when under particularly any load). It never crashes on a benchmark or stress-test.

I have yet to try your eco mode fix, I'll see if that helps for me as well. Let's keep in touch about other fixes. Since we are both using an MSI B450 motherboard, I have a sneaking suspicion that might be the underlying problem somehow.

Things I tried that didn't help: Fresh Windows install, lower RAM clock, BIOS upgrade

0 Likes

i guess we have same issue. 

as i mentioned before you can try eco mode 65w or 95w.

or if you have a good cooler you can try this overclock settings.

https://www.msi.com/blog/amd-r9-5900x-overclocking-guide

i guess it is about motherboard or bios and pbo settings. disabling or lowering pbo always was a solution for me. now i disabled pbo manually overclocked all cores and it is fine again. 

hope these work for you too.  

0 Likes

i guess we have same issue. 

as i mentioned before you can try eco mode 65w or 95w.

or if you have a good cooler you can try this overclock settings.

i guess it is about motherboard or bios and pbo settings. disabling or lowering pbo always was a solution for me. now i disabled pbo, manually overclocked all cores and it is fine again. 

hope these work for you too.  

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

I am an avid MSI motherboard builder.  The MSI MAG B450 motherboard is not what I would be running this build on.  It was probably the result of your first issue. 

I want to ask 1 question.

Here you have a build on a top notch 12 core CPU and top notch GPU (both 6800XT and 6950XT) and you cheap out with one of the lowest performance boards that MSI builds.  WHY?

I don't know if the Tomahawk has 2 CPU power ports or 1, I'm guessing 1.  I have a 3900X on an MSI MEG X570 ACE which has 2 8 pin CPU power ports along with the 24 pin ATX power port.  Make darn sure that all three are plugged in, if you have the two CPU power ports. 

I'm not familiar with the B450 because I simply refuse to build on any platform other than X570 and X670E in the future.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

i bought this mobo with 3700x and in that time it was ok. b450 tomahawk isnt an entry level mobo, the reviews were good, it was famous about its price performance ratio.

than i upgraded to 5900x and all we know that am5 was coming and that wont support x570 mobos. so i sticked to the mobo and just upgraded cpu. now i dont want to change my mobo too cause if i upgrade, it should be to am5 and that means ddr5 ram, new cpu etc. 

0 Likes

i bought this mobo with 3700x and in that time it was ok. b450 tomahawk isnt an entry level mobo, the reviews were good, it was famous about its price performance ratio.

than i upgraded to 5900x and all we know that am5 was coming and that wont support x570 mobos. so i sticked to the mobo and just upgraded cpu. now i dont want to change my mobo too cause if i upgrade, it should be to am5 and that means ddr5 ram, new cpu etc. 

0 Likes
paez17
Adept II

after tried lots of things undervolting, curve optimizer, overvolting, disabling pbo etc in the end i find stability with all core overclock.

i used these settings. 4600mhz all core overclock with 1.325 v seems to be stable. i tried every situation that causes black screen before and never had it. 

i dont know how long this will be stable. my temps are a little higher than before but not too much, water cooling keeps it under 60c. so if you have same problem maybe you can try this settings too.

0 Likes
paez17
Adept II

problem continued even with a new motherboard so it was faulty cpu and i am waiting for rma. 

in this period i switched to 5800x3d and never had an issue since. 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, in my opinion that board had a very weak VRM configuration for a CPU such as the 5900X, some old reviews state that it could barely even handle a All OC 2700X and that explains why You can't sustain higher power delivery.

=EDIT=

Did not check your latest post, so I had to edit mine as it didn't make much sense, but my the opinion remains valid, beware of VRM configurations. a 5900X on a 4 phase VRM board wasn't in the cards at all.

The Englishman