cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Omnipro
Adept II

Should I use Integrated or Card GPU

I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 5600G Cezanne 3.9GHz 6-Core AM4 CPU on a B450M-HDV R4.0 AMD AM4 microATX Motherboard. Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory.

My GPU is a XFX - Custom Backplate XXX OC Radeon RX 480 8GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

Would it be better to use the newer integrated GPU of the 5600G, or stick with my old RX480 GPU.

1 Solution
Robbert
Adept III

I don't think anyone has tested the RTX480 vs a the APU of a 5600G. 

As already mentioned, the GPU will most likely win VS the 5600G's APU. 

Some of the main benefits of running the GPU would be:
- Added memory that the GPU pulls from, instead of taking from the system memory. (yay more memory)
- The GPU has 36 compute cores, the APU of the 5600G has 7. (note the clock speed is much higher on the 5600G)
- Less stress on the overall CPU, letting the CPU run cooler, and clock higher for longer periods of time.

So overall, the GPU should be a better option. But hey, you can always benchmark it yourself and let us know! I'm kind of curious.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Generally GPU cards tends to be more powerful than IGPUs.

They have more vRAM Memory and more features than IGPUs and are better suited for playing games.

Today's IGPUs are equivalent to a low to medium budget GPU Card.

But you can decide yourself.

Play the latest game you have installed with both the GPU card and IGPU and see if there are any major difference in game playing.

aroryborealis
Adept II

a 480 with 8 gigs of VRam should smoke an iGPU.  

ssaradpon
Adept I

Pretty sure the Rx480 is better than that iGPU

blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Use the RX 480 over the integrated Radeon 7 graphics of the 5600G, dedicated discrete graphics card beats integrated graphics 99% of the time, you'll almost never find a PC build where the integrated graphics on the processor will be better than the discrete graphics card

Just because your 5600G CPU is newer doesn't mean it has better graphics capability than your older RX 480

If you use your iGPU in-game it renders your dGPU useless, might as well not have gotten it

XelaVo581
Adept II

Card GPU defeats integrated 100%

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts
0 Likes
Roger0072
Adept II

Card GPU; I do understand getting one of the G CPUs tho - lower power consumption

Robbert
Adept III

I don't think anyone has tested the RTX480 vs a the APU of a 5600G. 

As already mentioned, the GPU will most likely win VS the 5600G's APU. 

Some of the main benefits of running the GPU would be:
- Added memory that the GPU pulls from, instead of taking from the system memory. (yay more memory)
- The GPU has 36 compute cores, the APU of the 5600G has 7. (note the clock speed is much higher on the 5600G)
- Less stress on the overall CPU, letting the CPU run cooler, and clock higher for longer periods of time.

So overall, the GPU should be a better option. But hey, you can always benchmark it yourself and let us know! I'm kind of curious.

marian4q3
Adept I

Rx480 should still be more powerfull than Vega iGPU. This will change on RDNA3 iGPU

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

With all these comments recommending the discrete graphics card, there are computer builds where you don't need a machine that's to be used for gaming.  Maybe you just need it for browsing the Internet and downloading stuff?  Then the integrated graphics solution makes a lot of sense.  They can work very well and you would never know that there is no discrete video card in the computer if you don't play games.  I have one machine running the AMD Ryzen 5600G CPU and it's just fine for this scenario.  I also have an AMD Ryzen 5700G CPU machine that is used for 1080p gaming and it works well for that.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
freakjap
Adept II

I would say use the card,unless you are not going to be gaming,

0 Likes
TR2
Adept III

Well I have to say that for gaming a GPU is preferred. That does not mean that integrated graphics aren't decent they just wont hold up for intense resource games. I have a 3400g on an htpc that is really amazing for that purpose and the graphics on my 70 inch tv is very nice. In fact I asked Santa for a 5600g for an ITX build and I have been good( except for that one time). The cost of GPUs are coming back to earth but they have not landed yet. Tom's has a decent review of the 5600g.

0 Likes
joebangles
Adept III

Since I don't have the hardware to run the benchmark myself, I'm not averse to using this website, which has submitted benchmark averages:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/3533vs4406/Radeon-RX-480-vs-Ryzen-5-5600G-with-Radeon-Gra...

The trade-offs have already been stated: more power draw for the discrete card vs APU graphics, better gaming for the discrete card.

like @BigAl01 said -- depends on what you want it for. If you want a (relatively) low-power (and likely quieter) HTPC, then use the APU. I've really been considering a 5700G rig for low-power gaming option. Note that the RX480 draws up to 150W

0 Likes