cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Headsets, Headphones, Speakers, and Microphones... Oh my!

How's it going, Red Team?

I'm back with another recommendations request - or rather, a general post asking for your thoughts and preferences when it comes to audio accessories for your rigs.

I know this isn't a "traditional" part recommendation, but accessories need love too!

With that, I've been thinking about my audio setup for my current desk/throne. As far as voice-related accessories go, I switch between a headset (HyperX Cloud Core 7.1) and a microphone (Blue Yeti USB Mic) + headphones (Sony MDR-7506) / speaker (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1) setup.

The golden age/peak speakersThe golden age/peak speakers

I'm curious as to what you all use when at your computers, and if you have any particular headsets/headphones/mics/speakers you love using. Always open to new things!

When it comes to headsets/headphones, I always struggled to find ones that fit over my ears comfortably (I have big ears... it's a curse) - so if you're like me and found some that rule, let me know!

42 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I was a "speaker" guy till I had a baby, no speakers now 😑  Just the sound of silence.

johnnyenglish_2-1676330878111.png

My last speakers were a a Logitech 5.1 X540

johnnyenglish_0-1676330442967.png

Now I'm on a RoG Strix Go 2.4 Headset with the RoG Throne QI
johnnyenglish_1-1676330769372.png

Wireless when I have to, USB-C or USB-A plus 2.5mm jack if the battery runs out.
Then I'll hook it up to the Throne with its own DAC
2 Mic's (one is detachable) and active noise cancelling that blocks even the loudest of mechanical keyboards
Hard cover carrying case for travel

johnnyenglish_5-1676331653108.png

johnnyenglish_3-1676331011378.png

BONUS FEATURE! FAST QI Charging
johnnyenglish_4-1676331087235.png

The Englishman

Whoa, I love that throne setup! I actually didn't realize those were a thing - would definitely come in handy at my desk.

I have 4 Sansui SP 2000 speakers controlled by a Sansui AU999 Amp connected to a Sound Blaster Audigy 5Rx.  P9090071-8x10.jpg

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

This is so unique, and I remember seeing this when you submitted one of your builds for ROTM (at least I think that was it...). Very cool to see Sansui! My Dad gave me his old Sansui G-4500 stereo receiver a year ago, I just need to get around to taking a closer look at it to see if it needs any work.

I didn't know that I had ever entered a ROTM.🤔😂

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Since I use my PC from the couch with the TV as the monitor, my speaker setup is my AVR.  Currently I have the PC connected to a Denon X3700H in 5.1 surround mode.  Speakers are Polk lsim 703 fronts, a lsim 706c center, and a pair of lsim 702 f/x in surround.  A Hsu research VTF-2 Mk4 provides the low end.

For voice, I use the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro.  I basically use it for the microphone and to route voice audio.

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

For desktop speakers, I've got the AudioEngine A2+:

AudioEngine A2+ SpeakersAudioEngine A2+ Speakers

For my headset, I use the Philips SHP9500 headphones:

Philips SHP9500 HeadphonesPhilips SHP9500 Headphones

with a V-MODA BoomPro Microphone plugged into them:

V-MODA BoomPro MicrophoneV-MODA BoomPro Microphone

plugged into a Schitt Hel Dac/Amp (I have no idea if that will get through the filters here):

Schitt Hel Dac/AmpSchitt Hel Dac/Amp

I kid you not - I was so close to getting those AE speakers when I decided to upgrade my old Logitech setup. But the Klipsch setup I have was on sale at Costco... and it's hard to beat Costco... 🤣

Overall, it looks like you have an extremely solid setup down to the amp! That's certainly something I'd like to add to mine in the future.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I have eight sets of the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 speakers, connected to eight of my 11 gaming PCs.  Nothing compares to them for the price (generally $125 to $150 USD when on sale) and they are THX certified.  They have been reviewed in many computer magazines and people almost always love them.  

As for headphones, I have a few sets but I don't use them.  I can close the door of the room I'm in and crank them up - at least until my wife bangs on the door.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

How does the Boompro sound? I've been looking at getting one for my AT M50Xs. I'd rather not have a headset as the ones I try don't sound great, but a condenser mic for playing games seems like it would be annoying and in your face.

I'm not on the receiving end of my Boompro microphone, but the people I've asked have said my voice sounds fine.  I'll add a link to a YouTube video with some good voice comparisons at the end, but, in general, the reviews I found on it have been positive:

https://youtu.be/euoVAmgp0Lw 

jamesc359
Forerunner

Accessories are extremely important and one thing that a lot of people over look. My desktop speakers are a cheap pair of BlackWeb 2.0 Multimedia Speakers. For a $20 set of speakers they get the job done, but they certainly aren't the best by a long shot. I'd say they're the minimum that any computer speaker should be.

My headset on the other hand is awesome and I can't recommend it enough; The Audeze Penrose. They're amazing. They're the clearest sounding pair of headphones I've ever owned or even tried on. They may not have the deepest bass (what headphones do?), but the clarity and the overall rendition of sound is flawless. To make things even better they come with a wireless dongle for PC, they have Bluetooth and a 3.5mm audio jack. You've got plenty of connection options there. The battery life is excellent too. (Have I gushed enough about how awesome they are?)

I didn't go out and buy these recently, unless you call 50 yrs. ago recent.  Bought this stereo system in 1970, don't remember if it was Hong Kong or the base PX in the Philippines.  Also have a Sansui 2050 turntable that I used to record all old LP's to .wav files.  

Those Audeze Penroses look nice! Reading some great reviews on them too. I have quite a few options in this thread to choose from whenever I'm looking to upgrade... that's for sure

MikeySCT
Challenger

I'm something of an audio enthusiast, but not hardcore, but I do have space constraints, which is why I've to get a soundbar. With regards to soundbar, I don't mean Creative SoundblasterX Katana or Katana V2, it has to be from Samsung/LG or, like the one I'd gotten, a Philips Fidelio B97.....it packs a wallop!

Below is a pic of my desk area, on the left is part of my Grado GS1000i, and my ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 with a set of new cable I'd gotten for it. The cable isn't for sound improvement, rather, it has to do with length, the original cable was 10 feet long and a little stiff, this new cable is soft and a manageable length of 6 feet.

ekDAOUA

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2

Glad you mentioned the Philips products and gave them an A rating.  Here is another one for Philips.  Many years ago I purchased a refurbished 19" flat screen monitor from Philips.  This thing is still functional and working fine.  I have it connected to my security system and it has been a ROCK.  I think many overlook the quality of Philips products. 

I've never thought of a soundbar setup at my desk but this is a really neat idea - also those Dharma D1000s... 🤑

Love the overall aesthetic!

eebiii
Miniboss

Soundbar

IMG_2502.JPG

eebiii
Miniboss

My dad told me a story about a pair of these headphones (pictured below) that came in a kit with a soldering iron and you would have to put it all together. This was early 60's. My grandfather wanted to give him something to do. He said he was about 10-11 years old. Anyway, He somehow soldered the wires to a plug and plugged it in and it knocked him on his butt. The way he tells it, you would be on the ground laughing. I don't do it justice. Not sure if these are the model but he said they were all steel headphones lol

df611e39ec591c37e09d0faa0f1b3d34.jpg

This is great. 

Amazing item! 

The Englishman
MikeySCT
Challenger

I'd forgotten to mention the DAC combo I'm using, it can be seen in my pic, that black object between my phone and the Grado GS1000i. It's an iFi Micro iDSD Black Label I'd gotten many moons back, more than powerful enough to even drive a HFM HE-6, handles all my cans with ease...

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
MikeySCT
Challenger

Those stock cables that came with my various cans can be somewhat long and stiff. so I'd opted to change the cables (whenever possible) to shorter (hence more manageable) and softer cables. Just got a bunch of cables for some of my cans, as well as new earpads for my Grado GS1000i

YPiljuU

Do you have a go-to brand for cables when you replace them?

Gosh, so sorry for the tardy response, and No, I don't have a go to brand for cables. I did try silver cables and ALO cables for my Fitear Parterre, maybe my ears aren't as good as before (NOT that it was ever good in the first place). 

Those third party cables you see on my cans (except the Grado one) are from some no-name Aliexpress seller, pretty good service from one of them actually. The seller had sent me a set of cable with 4pin XLR plug, he sent me the 6.35mm audio jack I'd originally bought, and he'd not even asked me to return the XLR one!

0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

I've went through so many Headphones it's annoying

Maybe ~15? since 2016

Idk why, but the left ear mount always breaks. Guess I have a fat head or something because I never drop them and I'm not rough with my headsets.

My current (and longest lasting 🤞) set is the Sennheiser HD 599 S  running through a Creative Soundblaster X4, with this cable not that the cable matters, I just needed something longer than what came with the headphones

Due to where I live (a literal drained swamp) I go for open backed headphones, no leather cups. I tend to go open air at my house during the summer unless things get really bad like they did last year. 115F + 90% humidity will break anyone's resolve to not use AC

Luckily I have not had the same issue with my microphone

XLR AT-2020 running through a Pyle Mixer  PMXU43BT, Been using these things 2-3 years now no issues at all

They're mounted on a Donner Boom Arm + extension that I got on sale recently

Justifier_0-1676882345873.png

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
TR2
Adept III

My main computers I run Klipsch Pro Media Bluetooth 2.1. Headphones Sony WH-CH700N just a good set of bluetooth cans. On my HTPC, I run a set of Bose 601s Model I and a Pioneer center channel through a Yamaha RX-V685 AVR. The Bose are vintage bought new in 1978. Truly a magic set of speakers. I keep a set of Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers that I have had a long time as back up.

TR2
Adept III

Started to make a new post but decided to search for this topic. I have to say on computers the sound is sometimes overlooked. In older builds they all had to have sound cards. There was Cirrus logic, Turtle beach, Creative sound blaster to name a few. Now I only see Creative and I have not seen them mentioned in many builds. I am music enthusiast and have used Altec Lansing 2.1, Logitech, and now I have Klipsch pro media 2.1Bluetooth ( 2nd pair of these). I recently bought a set of Jamo S 803 speakers that are sitting on 28 inch Rockville stands. I have run these thru a Fosi Audio BT20A pro via bluetooth and using a SMSL SU1 DAC. I have to say the sound is amazing playing flac files or streaming with Amazon music. I hate to say this but they are so much better than the Klipsch 2.1 that I will not go back.  Klipsch makes some really good powered speakers- the 7s, and 9 series but they cost a bit and even the r-40pm's are 500.00. The DACs ( digital to analog converters) on motherboards are pretty mediocre at best. Just wondering if anyone makes audio on their build a priority while gaming or just listening. Jamo S 803 (129) Fosi BT20A pro(80) SMSL SU1(70)

Forgot headphones: Sony WH-700N( amazon prime deal a few years ago)

I do.  But as I mentioned I run my PC directly to the AVR, so the AVR does the decoding for music and movies.  Once graphics cards gained the ability to bitstream lossless formats (Good old AMD HD 5870), a sound card has been unneccesary for me.

PandorianGrey
Adept II

I'm using a pair of V-Moda Crossfade II headphones and they are great for me, I can't complain. Probably not the most comfortable ones out there without an earpad upgrade. DT 770 Pros where great and very comfortable but I liked the sound from the V-Moda more. The Phillips Fidelio XR2 is not bad either if you want an open back headphone.

I got the V-Moda M100's in like 2014 and those cans were the first pair of headphones that got me excited. V-Moda is awesome, super fun bass tuning.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi
BigTacious
Adept III

JDS labs Atom Amp and DAC stack + Sennheiser HD6XX = incredible top tier audio setup for around $400.

IEMs have been very very good lately too, and you don't have to spend more than about $50 for a great pair. If you don't want to spend a lot, they're a great option. I have the Kiwi ears Quartets and really like them.

Dannyboy3210
Adept II

I'm a scrub who uses a basic Hyperx Cloud II with my pc.

No shame there! I still use my Hyperx headset as my go-to for most games. 😎

BigTacious
Adept III

Also if anyone wants to EQ their headphones on Windows, I recommend checking out Equalizer APO and Peace as an extension. You can download profiles for your specific headphones. it's free too.

Axxemann
Forerunner

I've been using the same set of speakers for just about the last 20 years. They're just some random-unknown OEM that came in a box of parts I was given.

My headset is an old Turtle Beach PX22. Probably had them for going on 10 years. The pleather is peeled off, and I had to replace a set of ear cups, but they sill sound good. I'm planning on upgrading to a JBL headset when funds allow it. Gonna go tippy top of the line, but I don't know if I want to stay wired or go wireless. Why JBL? They were my go-to speakers for car audio when I was doing that sort of thing in the late 90s and early 2000s. JBL speakers (sometimes I went with Rockford Fosgate subs) Kenwood decks and Phoenix Gold amps. And a whole lot of MDF.

Performance over Pretty.

I still have a couple of JBL desktop speakers on one of my machines.  Been using them for over 25 years.  Quality is right up there with the best as far as I'm concerned.

Sleepy-AMD
Adept I

I prefer speakers, but I only really use those when I'm at home alone.
I bought a pair of good headphones, the Steelseries Arctis Pro. The cool thing about these headphones is that they have 2 audio channels, so you can put chat on 1 channel and game sound on the other channel. There's a balance control on the headset which lets you turn up channel 1 (and by that turn down channel 2) and vise versa. Best feature on a pair of headphones ever.

0 Likes