Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

pcjohn
Adept I

wglGetGPUIDsAMD(0,0) returns zero

Dear support,

I believe, I have found a bug in Catalyst driver (version 12.1).

I tried to use WGL_AMD_gpu_association extension and called wglGetGPUIDsAMD(0, NULL) to get number of graphics cards. It always returns zero, although Radeon 5750 is installed in the system with the proper drivers on Windows 7 64bit.

I further analyzed the situation. My code works well on my laptop with Radeon Mobility 5470 on Windows 7 and on Linux as well (using GLX_AMD_gpu_association). It fails just on my desktop Radeon 5750.

Further analysis brought the difference - the desktop computer had recently installed GeForce cards along with the mentioned Radeon. Even although these cards are now not installed in the system, wglGetGPUIDsAMD(0, NULL) still returns zero (like if no AMD graphics cards were installed in the system).

I see following problems (if I am not mistaken):

- wglGetGPUIDsAMD fails to report AMD graphics cards if 3rd party card is/was in the system.

- even if 3rd party cards were removed, the wglGetGPUIDsAMD still fails to work (returns zero)

- when I plug 3rd party cards back, I am getting strange dialog about "AMD driver is not functioning..." on each system startup. After the closing, no more harm, but it annoys a little. The card should be inside and not complain about anything, IMHO.

Thanks for the support,

John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Just to confirm the status: The problem was  resolved in Catalyst 12.3 . It was completely resolved, not a single issue remained. Thanks for the excellent support. I tested it using various conditions and it works!

John

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
gsellers
Staff

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I'm not sure how thoroughly tested this extension is in configurations that include hardware from other vendors. It's quite possible this is a bad interaction with drivers or registry entries left on the system. We'll take a look at it and see if we can reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Thanks for looking on the issue.

Let me know in the case, you would need any additional info from my side (e.g. registry listings, ....).

0 Likes

Just to confirm the status: The problem was  resolved in Catalyst 12.3 . It was completely resolved, not a single issue remained. Thanks for the excellent support. I tested it using various conditions and it works!

John

0 Likes