cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Miniboss

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 RX 480 still performs horribly. Can it be fixed by through the driver?

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate to know if there is any news on this issue? AMD barely seems to be replying to peoples problems anymore and Scott Wasson; whom is high up in AMD; did not want do weigh in on this post, since I see his @ changed to "anonymous".

I am trying to get into contact with Epic game developers, since some people like to say we should put the pressure on game developers, but AMD and game developers do like to ignore helping as much as they can.

Kind regards

deepforest
Adept III

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 RX 480 still performs horribly. Can it be fixed by through the driver?

@dorisyan wrote:

Thanks for your report, we will focus on this issue. 🙂

So its a words sounds like bla, bla, bla? "We working", "We focusing", "Work in progress" but when, its not specified ? 1, 2, 5 years or never?

"to promise does not mean to do"

Tags (1)
hitbm47
Miniboss

Hi @dorisyan 

I have now tested on 21.6.1 and there still has not been any improvement, and I have now also tested that this issue causes major performance issues in Heroes of Might and Magic 7 as well, and possibly related is Alien Colonial Marines running quite badly on recommended AMD hardware as well.

It is very worrisome that support for the R9 200 series cards has now ended; also a card that ran Unreal Tournament 3 flawlessly on 16.6.2; but this performance issue has been existing since June 2016.

So I as the end-user went as far as having to contact Epic games again, because it seems there is no consensus here and this is what one of their employees responded:

"Hi there again!

Thank you for replying back and for your feedback and concern.

I understand now that your concern is Unreal Tournament 3. Unreal Tournament 3 and 4 both fall into the category of the Unreal Tournament game as a whole and as I mentioned before, as Epic Games Player Support we cannot comment on the status of Unreal Tournament at this time. This game is currently on hold as we focus our attention on other projects. But if you have any other queries or concerns that may arise, please do not hesitate to contact us once again.

Regards,"
      I am not mentioning is name to prevent him/her getting in trouble.

But clearly Epic Games is not going to fix it, so does this now mean that AMD is going to continue not properly supporting Unreal Engine games in the future or vice-versa? Certainly looks that way, I guess people who want to play Unreal Engine games should buy Nvidia GPUs.

And this note in the new drivers is absolutely ridiculous when there are still so much DirectX11 performance issues with all Generations of GCN cards from this link: https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/product-and-os-support-update-for-radeon-software-adrenalin-21-6/...
"For users passionate about gaming, you may wish to consider upgrading to a modern GPU and benefit from exciting new features, improved performance, lower power consumption and broader compatibility with the latest PC games. For information about current graphics products and where to buy, please visit: AMD Radeon™ RX Graphics Cards"

How can you end support for 2 Generations of cards that cannot be properly Utilized by recommended hardware?
hitbm47
Miniboss

Hi @dorisyan  @dipak  @xhuang 

The removal of Radeon Additional Settings in 17.7.2 caused a major decrease in performance for a lot of older games up until 21.6.1, I mean up to a x4 decrease in minimum framerates (80FPS down to 29FPS in most of cases).

Way too much games are affected by this, but ones I can definitely point out are Unreal Tournament 3, Heroes of Might and Magic 7.

To name more games that most likely will also be greatly affected by it are Borderlands 2, most Batman games, Bioshock 1 (probably 2 and maybe 3).

Can we please, very please get this to AMD's attention! Otherwise we have to continually uninstall and reinstall between 17.6.2 and 21.6.2 just to play those games properly. This greatly affects new AMD products as well since they can't use 17.6.2.

Is there a way to get some of those libraries or DLLs working again? I don't want Radeon Additional settings back but whatever libraries concerning them was removed contained optimizations that was also removed. This is critical!

Kind regards

deepforest
Adept III

AMD doesn't want hear us

hitbm47
Miniboss

Hi @deepforest 

I really hope we can kindly encourage either @dipak / @xhuang / @deepforest / @guy_ludden@alexander_blake-davies@warren_eng  to please investigate my findings in that AMD accidently deleted all Unreal Engine 3 optimizations with the release of 17.7.2 due to removing "Radeon Additional Settings" and probably some of the critical libraries.

This actually effects Navi, some other user just posted screenshots of his framerates in one of the same areas where he was supposed to be getting 331.2FPS but is only getting 120FPS because of the accidental removal of Unreal Engine 3 optimizations.

Kind regards

0 Likes
xhuang
Staff
Staff

Hi @hitbm47 & @deepforest , AMD DOES value your feedback. Very appreciate this!

I will report this issue to the internal engineering team, and keep you updated.

hitbm47
Miniboss

Hi @xhuang 

Thank you very much for responding to me, I am so glad to finally get some feedback from driver developers again.

But I would really appreciate if you can please inform me/us in due time if you are planning to restore the performance again for all Radeon owners whom used to ran it fawless?

Really please.

Kind regards

0 Likes
xhuang
Staff
Staff

@hitbm47,  are you running the D3D9 version, instead of GL version? Can you confirm this, as we have separate driver teams for Dx and OpenGL

xhuang_0-1624866769394.png

hitbm47
Miniboss

Hi @xhuang 

Thank you for your response, yes as I have mentioned in the previous comments AMD lost their DirectX 9 Unreal Engine 3 optimizations when they removed something related to "Radeon Additional Settings" in 17.7.2.

This has a great negative impact on all DirectX 9 releases of Unreal Engine 3 games, and yes those games only come with DirectX 9 releases, there are no options to play them with OpenGL.

Kind regards

0 Likes