Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ventuz
Journeyman III

Rendering artifacts on 6xxx GPUs

Hi,

I need some help with the following issue:

Our DirectX 9 based software shows rendering artifacts with the new Radeon 6xxx cards. Simply drawing meshes in the FFP (no shader applied) causes occasional and random flickering of certain meshes or they are drawn displaced. We draw the meshes by simply calling ID3DXBaseMeshrawSubset() - no magic involved! This problem was introduced with the 6xxx GPUs - no problems with older AMD cards or other vendors.
Screenshots are here: http://forum.ventuz.com/forums/5988/ShowPost.aspx

The first image shows correct rendering, the other two have artifacts on the left side. We currently cannot recommend 6xxx cards to our customers.
I would appreciate any advice how to track down this problem.

Thanks

Karol Strozynski

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bacterius
Journeyman III

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issues (using D3D11 codepath however) with my HD6950 (2gb). Vertices will be randomly displaced from frame to frame as if memory was getting corrupted somehow.

Ventuz can you check if running a GPU-intensive application (like furmark) in the background while running your software removes the artifacts? Because it does for me which suggests a driver bug. (of course I'm not suggesting this as a solution, it's just to see if our issues are related).

PS: still not fixed as of 11.10.

0 Likes

This issue seems related to GPU temperature. For instance:

GPU at 30-40C -> monstruous artifacts everywhere with crazy vertex stuttering/displacement seemingly at random on meshes

GPU at 40-50C -> a lot less artifacts but a few remain

GPU 50C+ -> virtually no artifacts left.

o_O

0 Likes

Hi Bacterius,

We did not encounter this problem since the Hotfix 11.5b:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx

At least non of our customers reported any further problems.

Cheers!

0 Likes