cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Forerunner

Radeon RX 480 driver performance issues and bugs, OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX, Mantle

Hi everyone, my name is Jacques

I was supposed to post in "OpenGL & Vulkan" as suggested by developer xhuang, but since I am a newcomer I am only allowed to post here.

I am having performance and bug issues in certain games which mostly seems to be driver related to my RX 480 and a lot of other RX 400 and 500 Graphics cards when I read through the forums.

My current system configuration:

Windows 10 64-bit

MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G

MSI 990FXA Gaming Motherboard

2x 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz HyperX Fury RAM

FX 8350 processor at stock clockspeeds and motherboard settings.

One DirectX9 game that definitely degraded in performance since Crimson 16.9.2 is Unreal Tournament 3 Black Edition:

* I can confirm a constant 62FPS+ on driver version 16.9.2 on most maps, but

* Since approximately Crimson 17.7.1 or 17.7.2 up until the current 18.10.2 drivers performance has degraded dramatically in this game for my card and can easily be observed in the following scenarios,

> Frame rate fluctuates between ~30FPS-62FPS (when framerate smoothing is enabled in-game) on almost all of the maps, but is more apparent some of the following maps:

> In capture the Flag on Facing worlds the higher up the castle you get, the lower the FPS, GPU Usage gets; in addition, when flying away in spectator mode and looking towards the map FPS

falls down to 30FPS, but in Driver 16.9.2 it stays at 60FPS consistently.

> In warfare on Market place when looking at the center-node from the enemies base FPS also drops down to 30-40FPS with low GPU usage.

> It is important to note that this problems was not apparent in 16.9.2 and that not of the CPU cores max out when this low GPU usage scenarios occur.

Another DirectX9 game that seems to be affected by newer Drivers is Stalker Call Of Prypyap, although the game supports DirectX 11 features, I think the game is natively DirectX9.

To name games that seem to always have performance issues with any of the drivers and this setup even though CPU usage doesn't max out on any of the eight cores are,

* Far Cry 3 (30-40FPS in hometown, but the GPU usage issue was eliminated in this game when paired with the i5 8400. In addition, the performance is related to Water Quality setting)

* The Elder Scrolls of Skyrim

* Just Cause 3 (FPS fluctuates between 30-60)

* Call of Duty WWII

* Crysis 1

* Crysis 2

* Crysis 3 (the GPU usage issue is still persistent in this game when paired with the i5 8400)

* Arma 3

* Hitman 2016 (improves a little when switching to DirectX12, but introduces a lot of stuttering)

* Wolfenstein The New Order

* Wolfenstein The Old Blood

* Sniper Elite 3 doesn't render textures and graphical effects properly when the Mantle executable is used.

Rage developed by ID Software:

> This game performs quite well, but does not render character and vehicle shadows properly when paired with an AMD card, even though it does with intel onboard graphics and nvidia graphics.

Wolfenstein The New Order and Wolfenstein The Old Blood:

> In these two games I believe their are definitely OpenGL driver issues, since not a single CPU core is nearly maxed out at any time, but there are numerous areas where frame rate fluctuates between 30-60FPS while GPU usage is low in these areas.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus:

> This game performs exceptionally well, but recently there exists an unplayable graphics issue, where the water in the submarine shines so bright it lights up the whole room and you can't see anything but white light in the room.

To conclude, in the majority of the cases with the games listed above, the problem is low GPU utilization in areas where the CPU is not showing bottlenecking on any of the eight cores.

Hope this can get to the driver team.

Kind regards

Jacques

43 Replies

Hi leyvin

Unreal Tournament 3 was released in 2007 and Crysis 3 was released in 2013, not 2008, which is not very old in my opinion, since Crysis 3 is rendered in DirectX 11. Personally, I find games released before Far Cry 1 or Doom 3 old in terms of graphics/physics, but this does not stop me from playing Wolfenstein 3D, Dungeon Keeper 1/2, Hitman Codename 47, StarCraft 1 or WarCraft 3.

Furthermore, Crysis 3 advertises in-game AMD powered logo's, and even though reverting to 16.9.2(on RX 480 disc) fixes Unreal Tournament 3, an older driver (which can't be found anymore) than this is required for Crysis 3 to fix performance issues which is still present in this year's drivers.

I agree with you in terms of driver size which were becoming too large to download, especially on capped Internet, and that unnecessary code shouldn't be dragged along, but then some sort of combined solution between Microsoft and AMD like translating DirectX9, DirectX10 API calls to Vulkan/DX12 or automatically detecting the overuse of unnecessary resources could've maybe helped, since game developers rarely go back to fix/improve something if they are not going to make money out of it, although it would've been the best option if; for example, as you stated Unreal Tournament 3 was to be ported to a better version of the Unreal Engine, but sadly this is unlikely.

In addition, I am pretty sure driver optimizations for specific games aren't million lines of code long, since I have programmed shaders in the past to calculate and display a graphical scene, but I get that you are implying the radeon driver team might not be that large, although I think they will grow in numbers with the success of Ryzen.

I agree that it shouldn't be the driver team's responsibility to fix game/game-engine's faults, but I also do not think this is always the case as some games might reveal a bug in graphics drivers as well. Either way, it seems AMD still releases optimizations for new games, just not likely for older- (not very old) games since 19.10.2 had improvements for Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019).

Thank you, I will try what you suggested with switching between drivers in the case of having both installed when I get time in the week. One problem is that Crysis 3 performed better on the RX 480 with drivers that didn't officially support the RX 480 yet. I tested this in one of our systems that had early Crimson drivers installed for our R9 280x with the RX480, but since the official drivers for the RX480 were released it seems more Radeon GPUs were affected with Crysis 3 as can be noted here Crysis 3 low FPS drops & low GPU utilization with RX 480 .

Kind regards

I am going to mark your comment as helpful leyvin‌ since it does help by being able to switch between drivers without waiting for one's computer to restart, but it does seem like it might be causing graphical artifacts for a few moments at least.

In addition I should note that it doesn't work if one would like to do a clean install of the new driver, but rather by first installing 16.9.2 and thereafter 19.10.2 for example and then following the steps you described for switching between driver versions.

This is quite helpful since it improves Unreal Tournament 3's performance by 47FPS when switching to 16.9.2 as can be seen in the following screenshot,

RX_480_looking_towards_center_node_16_9_2_highFPS.png

But it isn't the best solution for general Radeon users out there.

Regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Unfortunately Windows 10 1903 removes the older driver from the list after a while, probably because 16.9.2 contains legacy drivers as well as you have written. But then this isn't currently a solid workaround.

0 Likes

There is very definitely a driver issue.