cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kusmabite
Adept I

Problems getting WGL_NV_DX_interop to work on AMD

We've implemented support for WGL_NV_DX_interop in our application, and I was a bit surprised to see that AMD hardware advertise support for it. Fine, I thought; we get fast-path there as well.

However, as opposed to NVIDIA's implementation, I keep getting an error when I'm trying to register a D3D9 render-target as a GL_RENDERBUFFER. GetLastError() returns ERROR_OPEN_FAILED.

Is there something I can do to get this to work? As-is, our application simply barfs on that error, because it expects wglDXRegisterObjectNV to succeed.

I have attached a small reproduction-case.

0 Likes
9 Replies
hampert
Journeyman III

Didn't you miss the DirectX share handle?

you pass a pointer as the last parameter of CreateRenderTarget and get the handle back.

IDirect3DDevice9::CreateRenderTarget method (Windows)

then you need the wglDXSetResourceShareHandleNV()

should be as follows (not tested)

HANDLE DXShareHandle;

device->CreateRenderTarget(1280, 720, D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE, 0, FALSE, &surface, &DXShareHandle);

wglDXSetResourceShareHandleNV(surface, DXShareHandle);

wglDXRegisterObjectNV(interopHandleD3D, surface, colorbuffer, GL_RENDERBUFFER, WGL_ACCESS_WRITE_DISCARD_NV);

The extension spec explicitly says "This extension accommodates, but does not require use of WDDM share handles". WDDM share-handles are only needed if sharing between non-GL clients are needed, according to the spec.

However, If I try to pass a WDDM-handle, the extension seems to work. So it seems this is simply an incorrectly implemented extension. That's enough of a work-around for me for now, but I strongly suggest AMD fix the implementation or invent their own simpler version; halfway-working extensions is just disaster waiting to happen.

0 Likes

Actually, it seems to be a second nit that makes this extension useless on AMD for me (unless another work-around is found); The DX side doesn't seem to see updates to the resource done from the GL side. The reproduction case can trivially be extended to show this by adding animation to the GL-code in the while-loop.0

I've tried to change the access mode to read-write, ping-pong between read-write and write-discard, unregister and re-register the object, to no avail.

0 Likes
kusmabite
Adept I

Ping? Can someone from AMD please comment and let me know what the status of this issue is? I really don't want to have to resort to a vendor black-list for our fast-path...

0 Likes

The issue has been assigned to a developer and we are investigating. I'll post another update here when we know more.

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes

Any updates?

0 Likes

OK, so I've had to ship a version of our software to our customers with AMD black-listing for the fast-path of our OpenGL -> WPF blitting. I'd really like to avoid having to ship further versions like this, so please get back to me with any updates.

0 Likes

This is bordering on ridiculous... 6 months to investigate an error-code? Really?

dragonfire427
Journeyman III

After a lot of testing I was able to get hardware accelerated WGL_NV_DX_interop wrking on AMD cards. I have only tested on 7950 and 7990 cards as of this time. Below is the code I wrote for creating, resizing, and rendering a simple test with animating background clear to test the functionality. My access to AMD cards is very limited. Any feedback on devices that work or don't would be appreciated.

One of the key points that I found was making sure the OpenGL render buffer names are created correctly during resizing operations. WPF performs multiple passes at resizing content so this becomes critical.

This uses a share handle on the DX Render Target, this may not be absolutely needed but given you earlier difficulty I implemented it. I have not tested whether or not this code base will work without the use of resource sharing handles. Hopefully it will help you get your product under full hardware acceleration without the blitting operations from OpenGL to DX surfaces. Tried that and its very slow by comparison to DX_interop usage.

0 Likes