Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yours3lf
Adept II

OPENGL 4.3 DRIVERS

Dear AMD,

it's been more than half a year since the OpenGL 4.3 specs came out (August 6th, 2012). At the time the greens immediately had a beta driver capable of running apps. You didn't.
Now the greens have a stable driver. You still don't.

Half a year has passed and there is still no driver supporting it. At least you'd release a beta driver for developers, but no... It seems like as if we're not as important to you anymore. When I had to choose which platform should I start developing on, the main factor was the developer support.

I know there is OpenCL, it is great and I love it, but when it comes to OpenGL interoperability (among many other things), the standard is still inadequate.

It would be a shame if developers had to switch to green hardware to make sure they can develop OpenGL 4.3 applications.

So I'd like to ask you: please hurry up releasing at least a beta driver!

6 Replies
yours3lf
Adept II

nice job with the 13.4 driver!!!

keep it up

0 Likes
matusi143
Adept II

AMD Catalyst 13.4 WHQL drivers have been released.  I know they have been in beta for several months and support a number of the OpenGL 4.3 features.http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-4WINReleaseNotes.aspx

I don't know which features you require but a quick copy and paste from the notes revealed the following:

• Delivers support for the following OpenGL 4.3 features:
  • GL_ARB_compute_shader
  • GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect
  • GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object
  • GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays
  • GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object
  • GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility
  • GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location
  • GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport
  • GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata
  • GL_ARB_program_interface_query
  • GL_ARB_shader_image_size
  • GL_ARB_stencil_texturing
  • GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range
  • GL_ARB_texture_query_levels
  • GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample

For reference, the entire release notes are here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-4WINReleaseNotes.aspx

0 Likes

Is there a specification for GL_AMD_interleaved_elements somewhere?

0 Likes

I needed the compute shader functionality the most. I've seen the release notes, that is why I wrote nice job. They finally delivered

0 Likes

Hi,

I have been testing new OGL compute shader and storage buffer objects extension and found following bugs (13.4 on 7950):

(please note all the samples I use for testing this work correctly on Nvidia OGL 4.3 cards)

*using atomicMax and atomicMin on shared variables hang the GLSL compiler others like atomicOr are OK!

groupshared uint ldsZMax;

uint z;

atomicMax( ldsZMax, z );

*using a compute shader with following launch size and shared arrays usage:

#define BLOCK_SIZE 32

layout (local_size_x = BLOCK_SIZE, local_size_y = BLOCK_SIZE) in;

shared double As[BLOCK_SIZE*BLOCK_SIZE];

shared double Bs[BLOCK_SIZE*BLOCK_SIZE];

crashes with:

Compute shader(s) failed to link.

Compute link error: HW_UNSUPPORTED.

Compute shader not supported by hardware

diminishing BLOCK_SIZE to less than 32 seems to work.. I have tested using

layout (local_size_x = 32, local_size_y = 32) in;

isn't a issue so 32 should work as for this conf each of this two shared arrays is size 8192 (sizeof(double)*32*32) so total shared mem usage is 2*8192 and is equal to reported max

size (GL_MAX_COMPUTE_SHARED_MEMORY_SIZE: 32768).. I verify this issue is on shared mem size usage as using something like

(with BLOCK_SIZE=32):

shared double As[BLOCK_SIZE*BLOCK_SIZE-1];

seems to compile so please fix to be able to use not only 32767 bytes of shared mem but full 32768 bytes..

*using sbo on non compute shaders (like fragment shaders seems no be not correct)

*getting GL_MAX_COMPUTE_WORK_GROUP_COUNT and GL_MAX_COMPUTE_WORK_GROUP_SIZE I get using debug_output bug:

glGetIntegerv parameter <pname> has an invalid enum '0x91be' (GL_INVALID_ENUM)

other new like GL_MAX_COMPUTE_ATOMIC_COUNTERS seem to work..

Related altough no_attachments extension is not adversited new entry points are present so I played with it using default and seems a simple test works on 79xx but not on 58xx

series..

glGenFramebuffers(1,&noat);

glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,noat);

glFramebufferParameteri(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,GL_FRAM EBUFFER_DEFAULT_WIDTH, w);

glFramebufferParameteri (GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,GL_FRAMEBUFFER_DEFAULT_HEIGHT, h);

a sample using this works on 7xxx series but not on 5xxx series..

0 Likes

Hi,
I have been testing new OGL compute shader and storage buffer objects extension and found following bugs (13.4 on 7950):
(please note all the samples I use for testing this work correctly on Nvidia OGL 4.3 cards)
*using atomicMax and atomicMin on shared variables hang the GLSL compiler others like atomicOr are OK!

groupshared uint ldsZMax;
uint z;
atomicMax( ldsZMax, z );

*using a compute shader with following launch size and shared arrays usage:
#define BLOCK_SIZE 32
layout (local_size_x = BLOCK_SIZE, local_size_y = BLOCK_SIZE) in;
shared double As[BLOCK_SIZE*BLOCK_SIZE];
crashes with:
Compute shader(s) failed to link.
Compute link error: HW_UNSUPPORTED.
Compute shader not supported by hardware

diminishing BLOCK_SIZE to less than 32 seems to work.. I have tested using
layout (local_size_x = 32, local_size_y = 32) in;
isn't a issue so 32 should work as for this conf each of this two shared arrays is size 8192 (sizeof(double)*32*32) so total shared mem usage is 2*8192 and is equal to reported max

size (GL_MAX_COMPUTE_SHARED_MEMORY_SIZE: 32768).. I verify this issue is on shared mem size usage as using something like
(with BLOCK_SIZE=32):
shared double As[BLOCK_SIZE*BLOCK_SIZE-1];
seems to compile so please fix to be able to use not only 32767 bytes of shared mem but full 32768 bytes..

*using sbo on non compute shaders (like fragment shaders seems no be not correct)
*getting GL_MAX_COMPUTE_WORK_GROUP_COUNT and GL_MAX_COMPUTE_WORK_GROUP_SIZE I get using debug_output bug:
glGetIntegerv parameter <pname> has an invalid enum '0x91be' (GL_INVALID_ENUM)
other new like GL_MAX_COMPUTE_ATOMIC_COUNTERS seem to work..

Related altough no_attachments extension is not adversited new entry points are present so I played with it using default and seems a simple test works on 79xx but not on 58xx

series..
glGenFramebuffers(1,&noat);
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,noat);
glFramebufferParameteri(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,GL_FRAMEBUFFER_DEFAULT_WIDTH, w);
glFramebufferParameteri (GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,GL_FRAMEBUFFER_DEFAULT_HEIGHT, h);
a sample using this works on 7xxx series but not on 5xxx series..

0 Likes