Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

colesdav
MVP

Re: Crysis 3 low FPS drops & low GPU utilization with RX 480

Hi,
I saw that there are some CD versions of Crysis 3 for sale on Amazon.com. at low cost.
I was thinking of purchasing one just to try debug this performance issue, if it did not require use of the Origin Client.
I will not look at or attempt to "crack" Crysis 3 so I can analyse it.

There might still be a way to export performance information directly from the Crysis 3 game engine.
I have started to look at that.
I will update this post with what I am trying to do and if it worked or not as soon as I can.
Thanks for your help.
Bye.

hitbm47
Challenger

colesdav

I hope you do not mind me tagging you in this post, How is AMD vs Nvidia API Overhead currently? , but it might be related to this thread on some level.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

OK, I saw the other thread first. No problem, since related to this question o.k.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I have tried a couple of things to attempt to get Graphics Pipeline / Performance  information and allow analysis of Crysis 3 based on tools I have used in the past.

(1). RenderDoc - I have had no success with RenderDoc. I have tried various injection methods with the latest 32 and 64 bit versions of RenderDoc and it is simply not working on the Origin version of Crysis 3. RenderDoc is working on some Steam based DirectX 11 games such as The Witcher 3.

(2). I tried running Crysis 3 with -devmode switch at the command line in the hope that CryEngine debug features might be enabled. such as ability to export game data for analysis in Crytek Statoscope or Comparoscope tools.

(3) I have installed the latest version of CryEngine and I am investigating if I can use it somehow to help debug a commercial version of Crysis 3.
I know from work with CryEngine years ago that I was able to use the following commands to export game performance data.

e_StatoscopeEnabled = 1
e_StatoScopeLogDestination = 1
e_StatoScopeDatagroups is not 0

(4) Radeon Developer panel only works on DX12 or Vulkan as far as I understand it, not DX11.

(5). Finally I decided to look at the last option which is Nvidia NSight Graphics tool.
I will save this post now and show how far I got with trying that out so far.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Here are a few initial screenshots to show running NSight Graphics Tool on Crysis 3.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png
pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

Before you get too excited, this is an Nvidia tool running on an AMD R9 Fury X GPU.
I have been able to capture data for the problem area location you described in your initial post.
That data might be total garbage though.
I have to stop this  for now, but maybe you (hitbm47 )can try out NSight and see what you think?
Bye.

hitbm47
Challenger

Thank you colesdav

I might do so at some point, unfortunately I can not clearly read the text in the screenshots, but will check again at some point.

Thank you for your detailed information thus far.

Kind regards