cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Forerunner

Can AMD please add a smooth VSync feature?, 2

Hi @dorisyan , @dipak , @xhuang , I hope you do not mind me tagging you, I would just like to get this to Radeon developers.

My current build is

- Latest Windows 10 64bit

- 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM

- FX 8350 @4Ghz (4.2Ghz boost)

- Compatible motherboard

- RX 480 8GB Radeon Card (Adrenaline 20.11.3)

- GTX 1060 3GB Nvidia Card

I feel the feature/issue I am describing next is mandatory for every graphics card owner, and Intel HD Graphics does it very nicely in some games; furthermore, I think Nvidia has the same feature called "Smooth AFR VSync" when using SLI.

I have noticed Intel HD Graphics 3000 has a very smart and necessary feature hardcoded into their driver, where in the case that VSync is enabled in game and the game can't maintain FPS at the refresh rate it will consistently lock to the nearest factor (30fps in case of 60Hz) until GPU usage falls below 50% again. The reason I am mentioning this, is because it is a much smoother 30FPS on animation than I could've ever achieved by setting Radeon Chill min/max to 30FPS and just as responsive as chill.

This is different from regular AMD Radeon and Nvidia VSync, in the sense that it monitors GPU usage in Intel HD Graphics and limits the framerate on a CPU/driver level, I guess, since one can notice the GPU usage reducing as framerate is lowered to the nearest factor of the refresh rate; in addition, providing a much less stuttery experience than regular VSync which also helps a lot with cut-scenes and camera movement during cut-scenes. Furthermore, I believe Nvidia has exactly the same feature, but only when using SLI, called "VSync Smooth AFR", which I am uncertain if AMD Radeon Frame Pacing AFR behaves similairly when using VSync and framerate drops below refresh rate.

I feel every Graphics Card owner with a Fixed Refresh Display deserves this as a basic feature, and no MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner's Framerate limiter doesn't achieve the same quality 30FPS lock, I have tried it extensively and there are always microstutters every few splitseconds with MSI Afterburner even though every forum brags about the superior consistency of Rivatuner's framerate limiter. Funny thing is when the Intel driver limits to 30FPS, it shows inconsistent frametimes in RivaTuner; for example, almost never 30.33ms FPS, but always much smoother in animation, therefore I do not 100% even trust the statistics RivaTuner OSD gives.

I have financially supported AMD a lot in recent years (R9 280, RX 480, FX 8350, Ryzen 5 1600) and will not be continuing with AMD if things like this do not get implemented, AMD is the Console KING, but for some unknown reason they prohibit their PC users from experiencing the same relieves/fluidity; smooth LOWER framerate is acceptable, sometimes preferred.

I also believe a smoother version for enhanced sync and fixed refresh displays can be implemented, which I might discuss in another post, but the gist is to enable/disable VSync on a refresh interval bases; for example, it would be much more responsive to only enable VSync when a frame(at any framerate) arrives in a interval where it is a factor or multiple of the refresh rate. For example, on 60Hz, dynamically enable VSync @ 1FPS, 2FPS, 4FPS, 5FPS, 6FPS, 10FPS, 12FPS, 15FPS, 20FPS, 30FPS, 60FPS, 120FPS, 240FPS, etc. and disable at all other framerates.

Please explain to me if Radeon can do something similar to NVidia Smooth AFR VSync or Intel HD Graphics VSync when standard VSync is enabled.

Lasty, very necessary in GPU demanding, slow paced games such as theHunter Call of the Wild.

Kind regards

HitBM47

0 Likes
24 Replies