Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Challenger

Re: Can AMD please add a smooth VSync feature?, 2

Dear receiver

I am very thankful that FRTC has finally made its' return to the RX 480 driver, but it only works when VSync is disabled, or when FreeSync is enabled, which is not a good scenario for non-FreeSync users. In addition, Radeon Chill only works well with FreeSync displays, it stutters when capping at Refresh Rate with Enhanced Sync on a non-FreeSync display.

Furthermore, I have noticed that Radeon Chill causes audio crackles in Test Drive Unlimited 2 when framerate falls too low, I suspect it might have something to do with the Render Ahead queue on the CPU, but it solves image stutter to a greater extent in TDU2.

Kind regards

0 Likes
hitbm47
Challenger

I have noticed Far Cry 4, Primal and 5 use this smooth VSync to some extent, or it might be the Radeon driver?, when VSync is enabled it limits the frame-rate to about 3/4 quarters of the refresh rate when it can't stay it Refresh Rate, so on my screen it does 56FPS on 75Hz at Ultra settings with VSync enable, which I appreciate, because it reduces stutter when using this technique.

Regards

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Since "R&D" seem to be on this thread.

FRTC control  is missing in Windows 7 64bit on Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 and 21.3.2. 
FRTC is available in Windows 10 64bit on the same PC/hardware, on the same machine, with a different OS drive. 

Looks like someone forgot about implementing the GUI/UI control for FRTC in Windows 7.

I can make FRTC work in Windows 7 64bit on my GPU if I edit some Windows 7 registry settings related to FRTC.

Please see:  

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/frame-rate-target-control-frtc-missing-in-adrenalin-20...

The Adrenalin GUI/UI menus seem to get messed up on a regular basis. 

It needs work. 

One recent example is Radeon Boost options missing on a PC with newer RX Vega 64 Liquid and old R9 390x.
The software seems to detect the R9 390x on the system and then disable Radeon Boost fo all other AMD GPUs. 

There is a workaround to get Boost menu options back for the RX Vega 64 Liquid which is detailed in the link below:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/all-radeon-boost-options-missing-in-adrenalin-2020-21-...

One more thing. 

Adrenalin 2020 21.3.2 still has no option to select  exactly which multiple GPUs can be selected to pair in Crossfire and the software does not seem to get the PCIe bandwidths for valid / best pairing correct. Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI - QT based one, allowed the user to select which 2 of N GPUs they wish to pair up with Crossfire. 

In my case - I have 3 RX Vegas on a PC and I want to be able to select which 2 to pair in Crossfire. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
hitbm47
Challenger

Hi @colesdav 

Thank you for your input, I would like to note the FRTC option is only available in my Global Graphics tab under the Advanced section.

Kind regards

colesdav
MVP

RE:  I would like to note the FRTC option is only available in my Global Graphics tab under the Advanced section.

Yes I know where the FRTC option is and that is where it should be. 

It is there in Windows 10 64bit OS but missing if I swap over to Windows 7 64bit  OS on the same PC and hardware.

Thanks.