cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Forerunner

Can AMD give us a feature/guide to have smooth & tearless 30FPS or half-refresh Enhanced Sync?

Hi AMD

Radeon Chill has great input-response, but I would just like to report, here as well, that it breaks/disables momentarily in quite a few games when looking at less demanding areas, thus causing game physics to break as well. In addition, when paired with Enhanced Sync it causes loading screens to go in the 2000FPS range, where I think FRTC used to help in setting a cap at screen Refresh rate.

Furthermore, when trying to achieve a nice 30FPS gaming experience by setting Chill Min = Chill Max = 30FPS, it stutters for 2-3 frames out of 30 frames in some games when using VSync and only works better with a FreeSync that supports Low Framerate Compensation.

Is this because Chill seems to deliver it on a average of 33.1ms, 33.2ms in most games instead of 33.3ms? My guess is that it tries to make response as quick as possible, but this negatively impacts the visual experience quite a bit.

I have just tested Nvidia's new MaxFPS setting and it definitely seems to provide visually smoother 30FPS with very much the same input response as Radeon Chill at a more consistent 33.3ms with almost no stutters.

In addition, I couldn't see screen tearing when combining Nvidia's Fast Sync with their MaxFPS, whereas Enhanced Sync tears quite often with Chill at 30FPS.

I would just like to know if you could help us with a guide or a feature to experience proper stable console like 30FPS for some games? It might seem silly, but 30FPS really makes some slower paced games with a gamepad like assassin's creed, Alien: Isolation, Hitman: Absolution, etc. seem more graphically impressive or cinematic, especially; for example, when wind blows trough bushes etc.

Hope you can give some insight and if half-refresh rate VSync is required with a 30FPS lock as well.

Kind regards

Jacques

2 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

I noticed something about Radeon Chill when testing it with Skyrim (which has VSync built into it), that setting Chill_Min = 30 & Chill_Max = 60 resulted in a consistent 33.3ms with less stuttering than 33.1ms when standing still; furthermore, when setting Chill_Min = Chill_Max = 30 causes a consistent 33.1ms which results in more frequent stuttering at 60Hz without FreeSync when standing still.

Therefore, I would please like to know if there is a way to disable XBOX 360 Controller input detection by Radeon Chill, so the game stays at the Chill_Min=30 without ramping up to the Chill_Max=60, therefore achieving a consistent 33.3ms whilst playing with the XBOX 360 gamepad.

Setting Chill_Min=30 & Chill_Max=60 does seem almost smooth when using a mouse for Skyrim, but not so much with the XBOX 360 gamepad, which is interesting, because Skyrim has VSync built into it, therefore it would also be beneficial to maybe list in Frequently Asked Questions if Radeon Chill was meant to work with normal in-game VSync.

I tried to take screenshots with the frame pacing-graphs, but Skyrim overrides the Screenshot feature with it's game engine.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

What I meant by Skyrim has VSync built into it, is that there isn't an easy option to turn it off, because it is not meant to be disabled for Skyrims physics to work properly.

0 Likes