cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Wibowit
Journeyman III

Will AMD make official OpenCL packages for next Ubuntu/ other distros releases?

Trouble getting it to work.

Hello,

I'm experiencing severe problems with ATI Stream SDK on Ubuntu. I've installed it many time, tried many instructions and as of now a large part of Stream SDK samples just don't work.

I suspect that nVidia proprietary drivers in Ubuntu Maverick are bundled with OpenCL support, unlike ATI drivers. Currently, installing ATI Stream SDK and getting it to work is a PITA sometimes. It should be easy for end users.

I hope that AMD will bundle OpenCL driver with all incoming Catalyst drivers.

What do you think?

0 Likes
3 Replies
nou
Exemplar

well they can integrate OpenCL into catalyst. so with --buildpkg option it will create package.

BTW did zou try my packages?

0 Likes

Well, I had some problems previously running your .deb packages. AFAIR there were problems like "ldconfig failed" (when I had fglrx that comes with Ubuntu Maverick). Now there was problem like conflicting file "libOpenCL.so" with package nvidia-current-something but I've uninstalled that package and now you packages installed correctly.

I've recently installed Catalyst 10.12 using --buildpkg and instructions from http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Maverick_Installation_Guide

Now there are many GL extensions missing. For example when running BoxFilterGL I have an error:

piotrek@piotrek-PC:/sdk/ati-stream-sdk-v2.3-lnx64/samples/opencl/bin/x86_64$ ./BoxFilterGL
Running SAT version..
Support for necessary OpenGL extensions missing.

And then nothing happens and program returns. Also I have difficulties running examples from jogamp.org or lwjgl.org - generally they fails to run, but they're working on Windows 7 64-bit on my system and authors claims that they works on Ubuntu. Unigine Heaven, Unigine Tropics and Unigine Sanctuary won't run on Ubuntu - reports that some GL extensions are missing.

It seems that I'm forced to downgrade to fglrx that comes with Ubuntu Maverick and to Stream SDK version 2.2 as Stream SDK version 2.3 requires newer Catatyst version that is present in Maverick repo. I would want to use newest Catalysts and Stream SDK as Maverick's fglrx only supports OpenGL 4.0 - it means less interoperability with OpenCL.

I'm afraid this thread is put in wrong place. I can move it somewhere it fits better if you tell me to do.

I've spent weeks trying to run examples from lwjgl.org or jogamp.org on my Ubuntu with no luck. Most samples don't work.

EDIT:

For example I've recently downloaded Unigine Heaven 2.1 but it doesn't run, shows only some messages, eg:

---- System ----
System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic x86_64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz 2999MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 HTT
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1.4 (4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context)
System memory: 8001 Mb
Video memory: 256 Mb

---- Render ----
Renderer: ATI R800 256Mb
OpenGL vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
OpenGL version: 1.4 (4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context)

Unigine fatal error
Engine::init(): clear video settings for "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1.4 (4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context)"
GLRender::require_extension(): required extension GL_ARB_map_buffer_range is not supported
Shutdown

But glewinfo reports:

GL_ARB_map_buffer_range: OK [MISSING]
------------------------
glFlushMappedBufferRange: OK
glMapBufferRange: OK

Interesting that Heaven reports 256 MiB VRAM as I have 1 GiB VRAM.

0 Likes

this is the problem.

OpenGL version: 1.4 (4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context)

it means that GL call are going throuth MESA. this is because you got set env var LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT. so unset it and you should get normal 4.1 version.

EDIT: wrong env var name.

0 Likes