cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

micky_jr
Journeyman III

What prevents OpenCL to create more than one work item while calling clEnqueueTask

Hi I am new to OpenCL, I just wanted to know why task parallelism is restricted to a single thread?

0 Likes
3 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Actually clEnqueueTask is a simpler form of clEnqueueNDRangeKernel for enqueuing a kernel only for a single work item or thread. It is equivalent to calling clEnqueueNDRangeKernel with work_dim = 1, global_work_offset = NULL, global_work_size[0] set to 1, and local_work_size[0] set to 1. So, there is no restriction, its just an another form.

FYI. clEnqueueTask is deprecated in OpenCL 2.0.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply Dipak.

I understand about clEnqueueTask, however my question is got to do with task parallelism.

Can we run 2 or more different kernels(with more than one work item) simultaneously on different compute units?

0 Likes

Yes, you can if the tasks are independent. However, you should use multiple command queues to enqueue multiple kernels/tasks to the device. Its specially effective on the cards which have the hardware support for handling multiple queues and commands simultaneously.

Otherwise, if you push many commands into a single in-order queue, you'll not get the concurrency you want. Runtime/driver may serialize the commands though they may be independent of each other. Yes, there is out-of-order queue supported by the OpenCL, but they are not a mandatory feature (for host-side queue) and an implementation may ignore the out-of-order execution. So, in that case, you'll not see any performance difference from an in-order queue.

Another point, task is nothing but a conceptual thing. Tasks are described same as any other kernels. So, they can be launched for a single or multiple work-item(s) as required by the application. For launching more than one work-items, clEnqueueNDRangeKernel is the only choice.

Regards,