Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

tomhaus
Journeyman III

Ubuntu 16.04 OpenCL 2.0 support

Hello everyone,

I started programming for AMD GPUs with OpenCL. Recently OpenCL 1.1 Mesa suffice all work, but when I want to printf something from kernel the problem occured.

By searching on google and this forum I realize that I have old version of OpenCL. I want to install driver that is capable using OpenCL 2.0, but I have Ubuntu 16.04 and for this version is not driver for OpenCL 2.0.

Will the AMD developers write the proprietary driver for Ubuntu 16.04? And is any alternativ for this driver for now?

And I know that here is other way: downgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 and there is all OpenCL support, but I dont want to downgrade my system

For the HW questions: I have nootebook with AMD Radeon RX 550 Graphics and on my desktop I have AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB Gaming from MSI.

PS: Why are all helps and questions about OpenCL almost from 2012? Is this language obsolete?

Thank you and all developers from AMD, you are doing great job

Tomhaus

0 Likes
4 Replies
avinashk
Adept I

dipak​ I have same question. Is there any update on this front?

0 Likes

Currently, on Linux, both the driver stacks - AMDGPU-Pro and ROCm, support  OpenCL 1.2 (runtime) only. Actually ROCm supports OpenCL 2.0 compatible kernel language on OpenCL 1.2 runtime.

AFAIK, ROCm stack will have OpenCL 2.0 support within next 6 months. For more information, please find a similar discussion here: OpenCL with SVM extensions on Linux for modern APUs?

P.S.: I've whitelisted tomhausand I'm moving this thread to OpenCL forum.

Thanks.

Hi Dipak,

Yesterday I installed ROCm and my opencl2.0 program along with SVM is working. I also read the discussion you have put in your reply, still I couldn't understand one thing. Can you please explain what you meant when you said "OpenCL 2.0 compatible kernel language on OpenCL 1.2 runtime"? Is memory really shared (SVM) as in case of opencl 2.0 or not?

0 Likes

AFAIK, ROCm already supports most of the OpenCL 2.0 features, except a few like kernel enqueue and pipes. Hence we can not officially mark it as OpenCL 2.0 compatible. The ROCm team is planning to add the remaining features in ROCm 2.0 to officially turn on OpenCL 2.0.

0 Likes