cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yukiko_u
Journeyman III

Two different binaries for gfx804 and gfx900

I am trying to get pre-compiled GPU binaries for different devices with the same way as described in the discussion below.

Cannot compile a binary for gfx901 offline

I call clGetProgramInfo(CL_PROGRAM_DEVICES) and get the list of the devices whose binary has built by clBuildProgram.

However, some devices in the list seem to have the same name when clGetDeviceInfo(CL_DEVICE_NAME) is called.

In Crimson 17.7.1, there are 2 devices named "gfx804", and in Crimson 17.8.2, 2 more devices named "gfx900".

When I call clGetProgramInfo(CL_PROGRAM_BINARIES) for these devices,

"gfx804" binaries are the same size and they differ only 2 bytes, and "gfx900" binaries are different in size.

How can I know which binary to execute with which devices of Radeon 500 Series and Radeon Vega Series?

0 Likes
6 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Thanks for reporting this. I've also observed the duplicate device names for gfx804 and gfx900. I've already reported it to concerned team. As soon as I get any reply/clarification from them, I'll get back to you.

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi, dipak, thanks for your reply. I'll wait for your feedback.

By the way, I found another issue on Crimson 17.8.2.

It is not a critical issue for me, but I report just in case.

Even though I created cl_context by calling clCreateContextFromType(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU), the list of devices from clGetProgramInfo(CL_PROGRAM_DEVICES) includes a CPU device (whose name is the same as the CPU on my machine and whose type is CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU), and clGetProgramInfo(CL_PROGRAM_BINARY_SIZES) tells me that its binary size is 0 byte.

clGetDeviceIds returns correct information about the CPU (whose type is CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU).

This issue is not observed on Crimson 17.7.1.

0 Likes

Thanks for reporting this. I'll check and get back to you.

Regarding the duplicate device name issue, the concerned team is already investigating it.

0 Likes

Here is an update. The duplicate device name issues for both gfx804 and gfx900 have been fixed in the internal build. It may take some time for this fix to reach into mainline and to the next public release. Please keep your patience till then.

Regards,

0 Likes
timchist
Elite

Thanks, yukiko. I was actually going to ask the same question.

0 Likes

timchist,

I thank you too because your contributions often help me!

0 Likes