Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

Meteorhead
Challenger

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

placeholder for all

Hi!

First of all let me start by saying that new runtime and SDK looks neat. Some release notes onto the webpage concerning new functionanlity would be nice, but it's still 13th, so no harm done. I have checked a few things, and here are my findings:

The issue about the needless insertion of atomics into one of my programs that should have only required sync now works without data becoming corrupt. I will need to verify this other than my laptop, but preliminary tests seem promising.

New samples are very neat, bug thanks for them (they'll come in handy very soon for my project). I would like to ask for one additional sample, that is not that simple, however many people would utilize it: as a followup of rendering to image, it would be nice to see some example of using built-in functions for encoding the image straight to H264 and have it saved as an avi on HDD.

SimpleGL example was broken (INVALID_KHR_SHREGROUP) in SDK 2.5. It did not bother me that much, as it was not crucial to me up so far. Now I'm starting to develop CL_GL share into a project of mine, but I have noticed that performance dropped significantly from SDK 2.4. Previously on my Mobility 5870, under Ubuntu 800-1200 FPS was normal, now it is 400-500 FPS. What hurts performance so much? If it is some new functionality concerning CL_GL share that comes at this cost, then I guess it is inevitable, but I think this is worth looking into.

I have not been able to check the reported booting issue on multi-GPU system, but I'll try to make it to the research center on thursday and check that also. Hope the system instability while running multi-GPU applications is a persistent solution.

Cheers,

Máté

0 Likes
38 Replies
nou
Exemplar

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

as you mentioned CL_GL interoperability issues. which method do you use to install drivers and which version of Ubuntu do you use?

because i had/have another issue with both 2.5 and 2.6 and CL_GL interoperability. it return INVALID_GL_OBJECT error after creating CL object from GL object.

i must set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx as workaround. without it driver just open a /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 so and try call OpenGL from mesa lib.

0 Likes
bsp2020
Elite

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

Where can I download SDK 2.6? The download page still has link to 2.5 eventhough md5sum is updated. Also, I just used http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64.tgz address directly but got a version with RC3 instead of the released version.

Brian

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

Right now I just installed the driver over the old one, and it works fine. I do not set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as under Ubuntu as far as I know it's effect do not apply, as it does not use this variable, but I may be wrong on this point.

I also saw that APP SDK page got reverted to 2.5 which is strange. RC3 is actually te version you are looking for. SDK2.5 was RC2 the final version that got released.

I hope it is not that SDK was found to have something in it and that is why they removed it from the download page. Some info would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

OK, I have checked. Catalyst 11.12 still fails to boot multi-GPU system. Once system is installed, I run the driver installer, issue "aticonfig -f --initial --adapter=ALL" and if I press ctr+backspace to logout, XServer cannot start and system hangs. Rebooting the system gets me as far as "Starting udev..." at boot time, and system hangs with a black screen upon trying to start X.

This all happens on SLC5.7, and before you tell me that SLC is not supported, the same thing happens with Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS 64-bit, with the sole exception that XServer manages to start itself roughly 20% of the times, in other cases GUI hangs, or if I'm fast enough I can press ctrl+alt+f1 to get to init1 and do some console recovery of xorg.conf . This I cannot do with SLC.

Now since I got exams coming up (not to mention holidays, but that is quite universal for everyone) I really haven't got the time to **ck around installing different distros of linux. SLC works fine with Catalyst on my notebook, but it just wrecks the test machine.

Machine is: CPU Core-i7 920, Motherboard ASUS P6T6 Revolution, 12GB RAM, 3X HD5970

This is starting to become unbelievable. I haven't had the chance to run simulations properly on the computer for the past 2 months, since drivers are crap. I want to finish writing a paper, but I can't do any test runs. I'll just switch over to the (multi-GPU) Fermi test machine, as that at least works fine with SLC installed.

SLC is free to download, so feel free to reproduce the issue, but I have a guess that most distros will behave like this. For once it would be nice to see a Catalyst hotfix (11.12b for eg.) that do not fix game issues, but goddamn bugs like this.

0 Likes
arsdmthe
Journeyman III

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

the best is to make drivers opensource, one can check vcs for fix(s)

don't talk about spy(s) that wait for looking at driver source code

hardware spy(s) use hardware tools to spy

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

Meteorhead: did you tryed run it without xorg.conf? i read somewhere that you should nt using xorg.conf at all as it is deprectated and aticonfig produce incorrect config (thouth that may be in case of multihead setup)

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

No, I have not tried yet, as it was never mentioned anywhere, that it is deprecated. I browse throguh the forum roughly every 30 minutes, read through most of the interesting stuff, help people where I can, but I have not come across this information.

Driver release notes mentioning such "subtle" changes would be nice.

Monday I'll get back to the institue and try recovering xorg.conf with an Ubuntu live pendrive.

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

Someone official or unofficial please help me: how on Earth can you get multi-GPU running? All the features of SDK 2.6 seem kick@ss, but before I compliment on the great work, someone tell me what the trick is.

"aticonfig --initial -f --adapter=ALL" simply breaks the machine, having it unconfigured (default Xorg.conf) makes "aticonfig --list-adapters" say that it fails to connect to local display, and having it default aticonfig setup (with just one adapter configured) leaves me with only one GPU recognised by opencl.

So someone tell me how to get this multi-GPU support for 5970 working under linux, because I have not found the way.

As a sidenote, is there any way to workaround having one user logged into the machine to use OpenCL? It is specially annoying, that ONLY THAT user can run OpenCL programs, that is logged in. This way I have to create a guest user for everyone to use for running simulations, not to mention having auto-login if I would like this to persist after a reboot. (This is far from being proffessional)

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

SDK 2.6 issues/questions

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try again.

it is definitly possible as here http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark_Results are few multiGPU system which works. also maybe you just need migrate to Ubuntu as it is officialy supported distro which can be important.

there was pdf about running CAL program via ssh. and core part about that was allow remote acess to Xserver and export DISPLAY=:0

http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

0 Likes