Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

prophet5
Adept I

Remote GPGPU computing

Hello,

I have recently setup a number of machines intended for GPU computing in my university office. However we (I and my supervisor) would like to access these machines remotely to make use of the GPUs for computing purposes. The machines have been configured to be accessible from outside the university network. My question is what are the necessary steps I must take in order to achieve this? Any direction will be helpful. Do I need some sort of OpenCL service?

I have done a lot of googling and the results so far have not been very helpful.

Main machine specs: AMD FX-8350 CPU, 2x HD 7970 GPUs running Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi guys,

After checking out Microsoft HPC option I decided it was a little bit too much for what I wanted as I am just running 4 high end desktops/workstations with GPUs for GPGPU computing.

I found a solution! I installed Cygwin on the first machine and set it up to use OpenSSH and it's working as I wanted. All I need to do is repeat the same setup on the other machines. The programs are built with OpenCL and C++ AMP using Visual Studio 2012. I have been able to run the executables remotely on the machine so far, no problems. I believe this setup will let me leverage both Unix and Windows environment.

Thanks for your inputs I'm grateful.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
cipoint
Journeyman III

Hello,

we use linux on the GPU machine. Thus, everyone owning an account can login via ssh using any other linux machine and compile / run OpenCL code on the GPU. There's no need for special OpenCL services. Is this what you're looking for?

0 Likes

cipoint wrote:

Hello,

we use linux on the GPU machine. Thus, everyone owning an account can login via ssh using any other linux machine and compile / run OpenCL code on the GPU. There's no need for special OpenCL services. Is this what you're looking for?

Thanks very much for the swift response. Yes this is exactly what I hope to achieve with my Windows machines. However I was hoping that using something like Cygwin or MSYS MinGW along with an SSH server will help me achieve the same result. Any advice/opinion will be highly valued. Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi Prophet5,

What you need is a scheduler. Try considering "Microsoft HPC Server".

Remote users can submit GPU jobs to this scheduler

MS HPC Server is GPGPU aware. You just need to set the "HPC_ATTACH_TO_CONSOLE" flag so that your application has access to the Video drivers.

The scheduler will decide where to run your job (Matching Job Requirement with Machine configuration)

If you are looking for freeware, "HTCondor" (previously known as Condor project)  will help.

Good luck,

And, Do let us know what helped you finally. It will benefit the community,

Thanks,

0 Likes

Note:

HTCondor is a heterogeneous cluster - i.e. both Linux and Windows can co-exist in the same condor pool.

Hi guys,

After checking out Microsoft HPC option I decided it was a little bit too much for what I wanted as I am just running 4 high end desktops/workstations with GPUs for GPGPU computing.

I found a solution! I installed Cygwin on the first machine and set it up to use OpenSSH and it's working as I wanted. All I need to do is repeat the same setup on the other machines. The programs are built with OpenCL and C++ AMP using Visual Studio 2012. I have been able to run the executables remotely on the machine so far, no problems. I believe this setup will let me leverage both Unix and Windows environment.

Thanks for your inputs I'm grateful.

0 Likes
realhet
Miniboss

Hi,

There was a post a week ago about this topic: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1288080#1288080

(ocland, the OpenCL cloud computing interface)

ocland is currently available for Linux systems only but my machines are running Windows. If all else fails I consider dual-booting with Linux and leave the machines running Linux while we are away from them. That is unless I cannot directly ssh into them

Thanks. I will mark this as helpful for the moment.

0 Likes
prophet5
Adept I

Thanks very much realhet and himanshu.gautam for your inputs. I will definitely try your suggestions and provide a feedback ASAP on the outcomes.

0 Likes

Thanks & Good luck!

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Thanks for coming back. Good to know this.

0 Likes
darkzeros
Journeyman III

I am having the exact same problem as the user that made the question.

But I installed Cygwin (x86 or x64) and set it up to use OpenSSH, but no luck. OpenCL is not detected (the same as if I run it in RDP).

Running in local works like a charm.

Could anybody help me? What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Please go through all the links provided in this thread. It may help you.

0 Likes