cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

oscarbarenys1
Adept II

Regression: CAL samples not working with a Nvidia GPU on Windows 7

Hi you have made a regression as I have both an Nvidia card and ATI 5850 on Windows 7 and with latest drivers CAL examples don't work if have enable ATI and Nvidia GPUs.. previously it was working at least I can run CAL and CUDA programs side by side.. if I disable in device manager (without reboot) nvidia gpu,  cal samples start to work..

The problem is yours as Nvidia CUDA works with ATI GPUs installed and also CAL samples were working previously..

The error seems to be in

C:\Windows\System32\atigktxx.dll

as Visual studio debugging shows:

'oclDeviceQuery.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\atigktxx.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

First-chance exception at 0x690337c7 in oclDeviceQuery.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000015e.

Unhandled exception at 0x690337c7 in oclDeviceQuery.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000015e.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Claggy
Adept II

I'm also suffering this issue, Cal samples and other 3rd party Brook+ and OpenCL apps crash with any Cat version after Cat 10.2,

I've tried every version from Cat 10.4 to Cat 10.7, no change, before returning back to Cat 10.2 every time,

Claggy

0 Likes

We have reported this issue to developers.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna We have reported this issue to developers.

Do you have any idea when this will be fixed?

Claggy

Edit: Upgraded to Forceware 260.99 and Catalyst 10.11, but still need to use workaround.

0 Likes

Any progress on getting this fixed?

I now have a GTX 460 in the 1st slot and have Nvidia 266.58 drivers installed,

and have the HD5770 installed in the 2nd  slot with Cat 10.12 APP drivers installed,

Both ATI and Nvidia OpenCL apps crash still, GPU-Z 0.50 now reports ATI OpenCL driver bug detected, skipping OpenCL detection, etc,

workaround still needed with this configuration, other's report correct computation with ATI GPU in the 1st slot and Nvidia GPU in the 2nd slot,

Claggy

0 Likes

Installed Cat 11.2, OpenCL apps now don't crash, workaround no longer needed, Thanks,

Claggy

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Claggy I'm also suffering this issue, Cal samples and other 3rd party Brook+ and OpenCL apps crash with any Cat version after Cat 10.2,

I've tried every version from Cat 10.4 to Cat 10.7, no change, before returning back to Cat 10.2 every time,

Claggy

Which OS are you using?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna
Originally posted by: Claggy I'm also suffering this issue, Cal samples and other 3rd party Brook+ and OpenCL apps crash with any Cat version after Cat 10.2,

Claggy

Which OS are you using?

Windows 7 64bit Premium,

Claggy

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: oscarbarenys1 Hi you have made a regression as I have both an Nvidia card and ATI 5850 on Windows 7 and with latest drivers CAL examples don't work if have enable ATI and Nvidia GPUs.. previously it was working at least I can run CAL and CUDA programs side by side.. if I disable in device manager (without reboot) nvidia gpu,  cal samples start to work..

The problem is yours as Nvidia CUDA works with ATI GPUs installed and also CAL samples were working previously..

The error seems to be in

Rename aticfx.dll to aticfx_temp.dll and aticfx64.dll to aticfx64_temp.dll and see whether samples run without problem or not.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna
Originally posted by: oscarbarenys1 Hi you have made a regression as I have both an Nvidia card and ATI 5850 on Windows 7 and with latest drivers CAL examples don't work if have enable ATI and Nvidia GPUs.. previously it was working at least I can run CAL and CUDA programs side by side.. if I disable in device manager (without reboot) nvidia gpu,  cal samples start to work..

The error seems to be in

Rename aticfx.dll to aticfx_temp.dll and aticfx64.dll to aticfx64_temp.dll and see whether samples run without problem or not.

I've renamed aticfx32.dll to aticfx32_temp.dll and aticfx64.dll to aticfx64_temp.dll,

Raistmer's Brook+ app now works, Boinc also now starts and detects both my 9800GTX+ and my HD5770 correctly,

I'll install SDK_2.2 next, and try another few apps,

Claggy

Edit: HelloCL.exe and CLinfo.exe now run without crashing, Raistmer's latest OpenCL and OpenCL/Brook+ apps now run too.

0 Likes

Claggy,

Could you please discribe steps you followed to make use of ATI and Nvidia GPU's on single system?  Good work. I am sure this information is very useful for everybody.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna Claggy,

Could you please discribe steps you followed to make use of ATI and Nvidia GPU's on single system?  Good work. I am sure this information is very useful for everybody.

First of all i uninstalled Cat 10.2, and rebooted, i left FW 258.96 installed, then i installed Cat 10.7, and rebooted,

i started Boinc 6.10.58_64, and confirmed Boinc still got an ATI SIGGEV violation, and carried on just using the CPU and Nvidia 9800GTX+,

I then did a search of the computer for aticfx.dll, my search found 4 files:

aticfx32.dll and aticfx64.dll in the C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\etc     both of which i left alone,

aticfx32.dll which i found in C:\windows\SysWOW64\   i renamed this file to aticfx32_temp.dll

aticfx64.dll which i found in C:\windows\System32\   i renamed this file to aticfx64_temp.dll

I didn't reboot, i tried running Raistmer's last Astropulse Brook+ in an offline run, where before it would crash within a second, now it ran to completion and validated against the CPU run,

I tried Boinc, it started and correctly detect both the 9800GTX+ and the HD5770,

I now installed SDK_2.2, and tried GPU-Z 0.44 (which would crash before), it correctly displays both GPU's,

the 9800GTX+ showing OpenCL, CUDA and DirectCompute 4.0 being ticked,

the HD5770 only showing OpenCL being ticked, DirectCompute now showing 4.0 (instead of 5.0 before) and is now unticked,

I now ran HelloCL.exe and CLinfo.exe, both of which passed now, instead of crashing,

I then ran Raistmer's two latest Astropulse OpenCL apps, they didn't work initially, but once i reset the bench program up, i ran both apps to completion O.K and they both validated against the CPU,

Claggy

0 Likes