Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

sh2
Adept II

Radeon 7970 questions

Originally posted by: aymankh Gat3way and sh,

Can you upload the documnet (1.3g) or point to the address where you found it?

I don't have 1.3g, but 1.3f manual contains gcn section (4.15.6) too.

0 Likes
sh2
Adept II

Radeon 7970 questions

Originally posted by: hazeman

FirePro with 1/2 DP switch enabled should get around 1.5-1.7 TFLOP ( I'm assuming it will be a little bit downclocked )

As far as I know, "switch"  doesn't exist. 1/2 DP and 128kB L2 cache is reserved for the next gen chips (not Southern Islands).

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

Radeon 7970 questions

All GCN hardware will support double precision, where-as before only the high end cards will support double precision. However, the lower end cards will support it at 1/8th or 1/16th rate instead of at 1/4th rate.
0 Likes
ED1980
Adept II

Radeon 7970 questions

As I want to buy HD7970, and therefore a question for AMD:
Will the HD7970, support cl_khr_fp64 at once? Or how to HD5800/6900, after 2 years ...

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

Radeon 7970 questions

Support for cl_khr_fp64 is coming on all devices that support double precision except for RV7XX based devices.
0 Likes
ED1980
Adept II

Radeon 7970 questions

When? For HD5800 announced in September 2009, support cl_khr_fp64 implemented in July 2011 with SDK2.5, for the HD6900 released a year ago still has no support.
This is how to buy a truck that has already traveled, but the goods can be transported only after 2 years ...
Do you have good hardware, but by the time when it is fully supported, it is morally (2 generation) is obsolete

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

Radeon 7970 questions

We don't give out exact release dates, but it should be in one of the upcoming catalyst releases as long as nothing comes up at the last minute.
0 Likes
diepchess
Adept I

Radeon 7970 questions

Speaking of which Micah - is there a way to get the top16 bits of a 24x24 bits multiplication? Had hoped it would be in SDK2.6 yet tried find it - didn't.

Is there a way, method or trick to somehow generate that hardware instruction that also opencl 1.2 doesn't seem to support?

Will it be in a SDK one day? 

0 Likes
Skysnake
Adept II

Re: Radeon 7970 questions

Ok, and where is the Software Developer Guide for GCN?

I really need this guide for my work...

I will get in a few weeks a 7970 and want to write some versions of nbody with elastic hit and a heatplade simulation. Perhaps also a liquid simulation. All without the use of BLAS and something like this, to see how far you can go with typical code. Of course with shared mem, structs of arrays instead of array of structs and all this things. When i have time, perhaps i will also use in one implementation BLAS etc.

I have talked with some guys in my lectures. They  perhaps will use this programs for there next lectures, because i will use OpenGL for visualisation. But for this i REALLY need the developer guide and as much informations i can get...

0 Likes
Marix
Adept II

Re: Radeon 7970 questions