cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

usama_shihab
Journeyman III

Question about limit of time inside work items ?

Hi,

My question is there is any limit of time from OpenCL in work items?

And is there is any way to increase that time ?

I read in some web sites there is a limit of delay inside each work item equal to 10s seconds or more in bad cases !

but i don't know is that true or false ?

0 Likes
7 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Sorry i did not get that. Please explain with a example. And Quote sources of your information.

0 Likes

I will explain to you my problem , i have a small program in OpenCL contain "for loop" and some operations, the program work successfully , but when i re-write the same program code but with a bigger "for loop" the Microsoft Visual Studio stop execution my program and a message appear telling me "display driver stopped responding and has recovered ".

therefore i asked is there a specific time if the work item doesn't finish it's work during it the execution will stop ?

0 Likes

Thank you himanshu.gautam

I appreciate your efforts ,

but i didn't take advantage too much

0 Likes

Hi,

There's no limitation on how long a single workitem of workroup is executed.

But there is a limit that any of your enqueued NDRanges cannot exceed approx. 10 seconds.

It's a good feature: the driver thinks that your kernel reached an infinite loop or something, and resets the GPU. You'r program will crash, but at least you don't have to reset your PC.

To avoid this, make sure that none of your clEnqueueNDRangeKernel() takes longer than 5 seconds.

Dear Realhet,

I appreciate supporting , i think you solve my problem but please if you can provide me with reference PDF, link ,book

that include these information because i need it to document my resource.

sincerely

ush

0 Likes

As I remember, this thing was called 'VPU recover' and it had a checkbox in the older versions of Catalyst control panel.

This function is always enabled in new drivers.

You're lucky, there is a whole PDF that is all about "VPU Recover" -> http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/VPU_OVERVIEW.pdf

0 Likes