Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

s002wjh
Journeyman III

opencl for newb

hello new here,

I have an ATI R9 290 that I would like to use for image processing/DSP purpose program via OpenCL.  but I never done opencl before just some C.  could anyone recommend some tools/sdk/examples/package to get start on?

thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies
kaol
Adept I

I can recommend a book: Heterogeneous Computing with OpenCL 2.0, 1st Edition. AMD's developer blog is another good place to read.

0 Likes
bsp2020
Challenger

If you have not done any GPGPU programming, I strongly recommend you check out the following MOOC to understand the concept first.

Coursera - Free Online Courses From Top Universities

Introduction to Parallel Programming With CUDA - Udacity

Both these classes use CUDA. But they will give you good understanding of GPGPU programming model. Then you can delve into OpenCL.

Good luck!

0 Likes

I would suggest against using academical sources really, they have been struggling to even start using GPUs, then a day they figured out they had to use them as they were in supercomputers and started going with them.

Seriously, reading the OpenCL1.x spec takes way less than 50 hours, OpenCL2.x takes quite a bit more.

0 Likes

so those online academic class are not that useful? I should dive into opencl manual?

0 Likes

s002wjh wrote:

so those online academic class are not that useful? I should dive into opencl manual?

Yeah. The user guide is a good programming start, along with the samples and the videos in the site. Unfortunately samples are in c++ :-(. When you get more advanced the optimization guide is a must...

0 Likes
pinform
Staff

Thanks, all, for your responses.

Wen Han, I've white-listed you, so you can directly post in the relevant forum. I'm moving this post to the OpenCL forum.

--Prasad

0 Likes
s002wjh
Journeyman III

I find this, is this pretty useful for learning as well do some simple project on GPU? https://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/specs/opencl-1.0.48.pdf

0 Likes

That's the spec useful for reference when you start programming. It is dated though. You should use the 1.2 or 2.0 spec.

0 Likes