Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

snoot
Journeyman III

OpenCL for 7950 on Win XP

OpenCL for 7950 on Win XP

I have an AMD Readon 7950 graphics card and the windows XP 32-bit operating system.  I would like to use OpenCL. 

I understand that an Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) SDK with OpenCL 1.2 Support is available from AMD, however the present SDKs V2.5 to v2.8 on the AMD website are not available for Windows XP operating system. 

Is there is a way to use OpenCL with the 7950 card on the Windows XP operating system? 

Perhaps Version 2.4 APP SDK may work?  if so where can I download this on the AMD website?  Does this SDK require a specific version of catalyst to install properly?

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Is upgrading the Operating system not an option for you? SDK 2.4 will most likely not support your new HD 7950, as GCN had not been launched at that time.

Anyways I tried finding SDK 2.4 of AMD web-site and could not locate version older than SDK 2.5. I will ask someone if it is possible to enable a link for SDK 2.4 for Windows XP users. It can help many people having old cards and windows XP systems.

0 Likes
realhet
Miniboss

Today I also wanted to install then opencl/cal driver (I had a 6xxx already and now got a 7xxx, and wanted both of them to work on XP) but failed because:

- after 11.12 there is no opencl driver for XP

- before 12.1 there is no support for GCN at all.

0 Likes

realhet I'm confused.  You said "after 11.12 there is no opencl driver for XP".  Don't you mean after 12.1?  I had thought the first driver without opencl supposed was 12.2.  You are implying that 12.1 does not have it.  Are you sure?

0 Likes

I'm not sure about 12.1, but right now I'm a satisfied 11.12+XP user. I've tried at least 4 drivers until I reached 11.12.