Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

binghy
Adept II

OpenCL Debugger

Hi everybody,

I'd like to ask for suggestions. I'll be very glad if someone could help me.

I am working with OpenCL on a Acer platform mounting Windows7 x64, an Intel CPU multicore and an ATI GPU device.

I have a problem searching for a working and easy-install kernel debugger.

Actually I tried with an Intel SDK tool, but I realized that it supports just an IntelHD GPU device, if I remember correctly.

Later, I was seeing for gDebugger, but I did not install it yet. Beyond problems to download and install the Catalyst drivers, honestly I am a bit worried about installation

problems. I would like to avoid execution problems, once installed the new drivers, while working with OpenCL.

Does anyone have some suggestions about gDebugger or any other kind of Debbugger for OpenCL?

Thank you in advance.

Marco

0 Likes
1 Solution

FINALLY, FIXED.

After attempting with the combination SDK 2.6/2.8, gDebugger 6.2 and all the Catalyst drivers (from 12.4 to 13.11 beta) I realized there was no way to fix the issue. So many driver installation/uninstallation processes, and two Windows reinstallations to clean everything. Something CRAZY.

Reviewing the release notes of SDK 2.6/2.7/2.8, the suggested Catalyst drivers were until 12.8 release (if I remember correctly), so I tried again with proper Catalyst drivers...no way.

Then SDK 2.9 and CodeXL 1.3 came out, both supporting Catalyst 13.11. So I attempted with this combination (SDK 2.9, Catalyst 13.11 and CodeXL 1.3) and then...IT WORKED! Anyway, it works inside VS2010, but outside I am not able to let the .cl files be read. Don't know absolutely why, even if with the teapot sample everything works fine and I took care to select the correct .cl files path. But I think I can skip this new mistery and go ahead, since I realized the CodeXL tools are the same inside and outside VS2010. So, bye bye.

This post should close also the same question I posted in another topic, here: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1301077#1301077

Hope this could be helpful for someone else.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi

You can use CodeXL for debugging purpose. This will give you more information on which kernel is taking how much time, how many workgroups you are using,bank conflicts etc. I hope this will help you.

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Note:

1. CodeXL is available both on Windows and Linux

2. It is GUI based.

3. It integrates with Visual Studio and also runs in stand-alone mode

4. CodeXL is both a Debugger and a Profiler

5. It can also profile your CPU code and show other hot-spots in your application

Find information about CodeXL here below:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/heterogeneous-computing/codexl/

Best,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

Hi Bruhaspati,

Thank you for replying me.

I downloaded codeXL but for code debugging it requires the latest version of catalyst. Since I had problems installing and configuring OpenCL 1.1 (as I read and tested by myself, it suffers a bit configuration and drivers management in the installation process), will I have problems configuring OpenCL after Catalyst update?

Best regards,

Marco

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 22/ott/2013, alle ore 08:15, "himanshu.gautam" <developer.forums@amd.com> ha scritto:

AMD Developer Forums

OpenCL Debugger

in OpenCL

Note:

2. It is GUI based.

5. It can also profile your CPU code and show other hot-spots in your application

Best,

Bruhaspati

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on AMD Developer Forums

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

Go to the message on AMD Developer Forums (you’ll need to log in).

Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

0 Likes

This I meant in the previous mail.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/27173-63-catalyst-drivers-install

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 22/ott/2013, alle ore 08:15, "himanshu.gautam" <developer.forums@amd.com> ha scritto:

AMD Developer Forums

OpenCL Debugger

in OpenCL

Note:

2. It is GUI based.

Best,

Bruhaspati

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on AMD Developer Forums

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

Go to the message on AMD Developer Forums (you’ll need to log in).

Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

0 Likes

If you are having a driver installation problem on your notebook -->

You should first test with the verification tool from AMD -- that will tell whether Catalyst will run fine on your notebook or not.

If it says it cannot then you need to check with your notebook vendor for the driver....And, this driver may (or) may not support OpenCL. It is upto the notebook vendor. Thats the protocol.

I belive C60 comes with HD 6250. If I go select notebook graphics in "AMD Graphics Drivers and Software", it leads me to "http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 7 - 64" - which has link to the verification tool. Check that out first....

Best,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

FINALLY, FIXED.

After attempting with the combination SDK 2.6/2.8, gDebugger 6.2 and all the Catalyst drivers (from 12.4 to 13.11 beta) I realized there was no way to fix the issue. So many driver installation/uninstallation processes, and two Windows reinstallations to clean everything. Something CRAZY.

Reviewing the release notes of SDK 2.6/2.7/2.8, the suggested Catalyst drivers were until 12.8 release (if I remember correctly), so I tried again with proper Catalyst drivers...no way.

Then SDK 2.9 and CodeXL 1.3 came out, both supporting Catalyst 13.11. So I attempted with this combination (SDK 2.9, Catalyst 13.11 and CodeXL 1.3) and then...IT WORKED! Anyway, it works inside VS2010, but outside I am not able to let the .cl files be read. Don't know absolutely why, even if with the teapot sample everything works fine and I took care to select the correct .cl files path. But I think I can skip this new mistery and go ahead, since I realized the CodeXL tools are the same inside and outside VS2010. So, bye bye.

This post should close also the same question I posted in another topic, here: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1301077#1301077

Hope this could be helpful for someone else.

0 Likes