cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

Offline compile on x64 Linux

Is it possible to offline compile kernels using amd SDK for checking the assembly generated on Linux? (similarly to Intel's offline compiler?)

0 Likes
6 Replies
settle
Challenger

I know you're asking about Linux, but if you run a windows virtual machine you can still use the AMD APP KernelAnalyzer.  Check out this thread for a possible issue and solution to using it in a virtual machine: KernelAnalyzer 11.11 on System without AMD GPU.

Otherwise, for now you have to code it yourself using information found in KB115.

That is a helpful suggestion. But for the binary method, I already tried it. It creates a file which objdump does not recognize... I opened it with text editor and it starts with "CLPC^A^@^@...." normal ELF binaries have ELF in the beginning eh? am I doing something wrong? maybe suggestion from 2.3 sdk does not apply to 2.6 sdk?

About running windows, it is too much work for getting a simple assembly output. Because I want to check for AVX instructions and I run the code in a remote machine.

0 Likes

run examples with "--dump filename" option. it output binary kernels. it ouputs ELF files so you must do some error.

You are right, I was doing something wrong. I was running the programs with Intel SDK. Now I can get the ELF stuff

But there is a new problem, I am not able to use objdump on the program, how do I see the assembly code? (below is an example from sdk directly, just making sure that it is not my binary which has the fault)

/opt/AMDAPP/samples/opencl/bin/x86_64/BinarySearch --device cpu --dump file

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU       E5430  @ 2.66GHz binary kernel: file.13

readelf -aW file.13

Machine:                       <unknown>: 0x7d2

objdump -d file.13

file.13: file format elf64-little

objdump: can't disassemble for architecture UNKNOWN!

objcopy -I elf64-x86-64 -O elf64-x86-64 -R .source -R .llvmir -R .amdil --alt-machine-code=0x7d2 file.13 stripped_file.13.bin

objcopy: this target does not support 2002 alternative machine codes

objcopy: treating that number as an absolute e_machine value instead

objdump -d stripped_file.13.bin

stripped_file.13.bin:     file format elf64-little

objdump: can't disassemble for architecture UNKNOWN!

0 Likes

try objdump -m i386:x86-64 -d file.13

0 Likes

PS. yes I found that out too... but forgot to click send as it appears...

Ouch, nevermind!

objdump -dm i386:x86-64 file.13

seems to work...

But one more question, how can I get the program to create instructions for a CPU which has AVX support on a CPU which doesnt have it?

0 Likes