Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

rolandman99
Journeyman III

Need advice which card to use

Hi,

After two weeks start to learn OpenCL, I want to buy an ATI Radeon HD card. Based on my budget and my current PC (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor,  250 watt power supply), I looked at the information provided on AMD website about card supported OpenCL.

I want to choose among these three: HD 5450, HD 5570, and HD 5670. Anybody can share their experience of using these cards ? Actually, I prefer HD 5570 (because of its low power)

Thank you

0 Likes
11 Replies
Tasp
Journeyman III

You should tell us what you want to achieve with OpenCL and the card.

0 Likes

Just want to use for practice OpenCL. Run simple operations such as matrix addition, multiplication. (at least it can run the samples from AMD stream SDK, because I learn using the provided examples in the SDK)

0 Likes
sblackwell
Journeyman III

Unless I'm misunderstanding the specs, it looks like the 5450 has only one compute unit. (80 streaming processors per compute.) If that's the case you may be happier with one of the others, which look like they have 5 a piece.
0 Likes

sblackwell,
The 5450 has 2 SIMD's of 1/2 the size. The 5570 and the 5670 has 5 full size SIMD's.
0 Likes

If you need to use double precision you should go for HD 5870....

0 Likes

Hi ,

I have HD4800 R770 generation , which i've just find out that it does not supprot opencl 1.1.

I plan to update my card, How can i tell if it support opencl 1.1 or not ?

0 Likes

hi c0nfig,

Run clInfo sample.Under Gpu Section it mentions the openCL spec supported.

All R770 generation devices support only openCL 1.0 and not 1.1.

Thanks

0 Likes

all 4xxx cards support only OpenCL 1.0. and all 5xxx cards should support OpenCL 1.1

0 Likes

Nou, that is not entirely correct.
All cards that are based on the 7XX generation of chips support OpenCL 1.0, and all cards based on the Evergreen generation of chips support OpenCL 1.1. There are some cards that are labeled as 4XXX that are 6XX chips and some cards that are labeled as 5XXX that are 7XX chips.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...phics_processing_units for more information.

Micah
0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

oops, very interesting.
HD42xx based on RV620. Does it mean that HD42xx doesn't support OpenCL at all ?
0 Likes

That is correct, and some of the 5XXX cards are based on the 7XX, so don't support OpenCL 1.1.
0 Likes