Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

joostn
Adept I

My application gets killed silently when using OpenCL on RX5700XT and RX5500XT

Hi,

I'm the developer of PTGui (www.ptgui.com). In the past week I've received 3 reports from users that my application randomly quits without any notice (Windows does not show a crash notification). All 3 are running Win10 with an RX5700XT or RX5500XT. The problem goes away if PTGui is configured to not use OpenCL. Nothing has changed in the application, the problem was first reported last week and it doesn't seem to happen on your competitor's hardware.

One user wrote: "I can now definitely confirm that it is a driver issue. I had been on the Radeon 20.5.1 driver, but I downgraded to the 20.4.2 driver and the issue magically went away. AMD in its driver update app was actually recommending the downgrade so there certainly must be a number of issues with 20.5.1. "

Is this a confirmed issue, and will it be fixed in a next driver?

Thanks!

Joost

0 Likes
1 Solution
joostn
Adept I

The problem appears to be solved in the latest driver! The bug report can be closed.

Thanks

Joost

View solution in original post

8 Replies
joostn
Adept I

If you would like to try to reproduce the issue, it is reported to occur in the PTGui trial version which you can download here:

https://www.ptgui.com/download.html 

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Thank you for reporting it. I'll open a bug ticket against this issue.

Please mention if there is any specific steps to reproduce it.

Thanks.

0 Likes

One user has a Radeon RX 5700 XT with driver 20.5.1; Windows 10 18363

Another user has a Radeon 5700XT, Windows 10 Pro build 19041

Third user has RX 5500XT with driver 20.5.1, Windows 10 19041

All 3 are reporting that the application quits after a few seconds. You should be able to reproduce it by simply running the PTGui trial version:

https://www.ptgui.com/download.html 

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi Dipak,

Any news regarding this? I'm still receiving new reports of this problem. All of these users have an RX5700XT, RX5500XT or Radeon Pro W5500.

Thanks

Joost

0 Likes

Thank you for the information.

As I can see from the bug tracking system, the related ticket is still open. I'll let you know if I get any update on this.

Thanks.

0 Likes
joostn
Adept I

I just stumbled across this post: T79628 Radeon 5700 XT - Cycles - crash 2.8.x 

From the bottom post: "Hi i got another Report from a User where i guided him to get cycles to run on a RX 5600 XT - however the Issue is that Blender closes after compiling shaders be it in Live Preview aswell as rendering. Hes using Win 10 with drivers tested 20.9.1 and 20.9.2."

So Blender also seems affected.

0 Likes
joostn
Adept I

The problem appears to be solved in the latest driver! The bug report can be closed.

Thanks

Joost

Thank you for the confirmation.

0 Likes