Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

Skysnake
Adept II

Re: maximum number of GPUs?

Nice to hear.

I hope AMD involve the interested people as soon as possible, even if there is a NDA requirement.

0 Kudos
jross
Adept I

Thanks, Micah.  I'm glad to hear that.  Perhaps we could discuss this confidentially.

0 Kudos
pwvdendr
Adept II

it would be a really big psychological and marketing win if AMD had a customer show off a 10-20 Tahiti GPU machine that could be used to smack around the competition.

Not 10-20, but I'm currently building one with 8x HD7970, given the limit discussed here. Machine is as good as ready, I'm just looking now for the best offer to buy 8 of these cards to plug in.

Yes, 8x HD7990 would have been more awesome but hey, 8x HD7970 is already really, really powerful... and beats FASTRA II in all domains (hardware cost, speed, power consumption and bios issues). Then again, that's more AMD's merit than mine.

But I can say that in the academic world, there's quite some market for large GPU computers. Many scientific algorithms/simulations - whether it'd be statistics, biology or engineering - would need serious adaptions to make them run across multiple computers, but are nevertheless fully data-parallel and could easily run on any number of GPUs on the same machine. But until these easy adaptions are made, our university decided to spend another 1M euro all together, into a new large CPU-based supercomputing cluster, which will mainly be used for data-parallel tasks...

GPGPU support for scientific applications is slowly starting (I read last month that MATLAB now has GPGPU support), but it's now up to AMD to make sure that they don't get CUDA'd again this time.

0 Kudos
Skysnake
Adept II

Could you send me some informations about what you have done to make the machine operating and so on?

I would be very happy about this informations.

0 Kudos
Skysnake
Adept II

Something new pwvdendr?

I am heavily interested in your work.

0 Kudos
pwvdendr
Adept II

Once the machine is up and running and has survived the testing stage, I'll be happy to provide elaborate information, but of course I want to make sure first that no further complications arise.

The machine should have been up and running weeks ago, but the Belgian customs clearance is not doing their job well and I'm waiting now for nearly 3 weeks for the last parts. They're stuck at the Belgian customs clearance since March 26...

So until these people finally do their job, you and I will need some more patience.

0 Kudos
Skysnake
Adept II

Poor man. Something like this sucks really. 😕

I hope you get very soon what you need. But could you send me some informations about what you have done to make more than 4 GPUs in one System work? If it is possible please send me a mail on to my university mailadress.

Thanks you very much.

If there is a NDA or something like this, i respect this, even if i hope, that you can give me some hints, so that i can find myselfe the solution.

0 Kudos
pwvdendr
Adept II

They have arrived meanwhile

More than 4 GPUs? But what is the problem with that, e.g. 5 GPUs works out of the box in every instance that I tried it? What problem are you hitting upon?

And I had to look up what an NDA means, don't worry, I'm just a science PhD student like you.

0 Kudos
Skysnake
Adept II

Just read the topic here and the link to the Fastra project, than you see, that there are some kind of problems

But yeah, it seems, that it is not so hard to make up to 6 GPUs work, but i don´t know how it looks beyond 6. There is no Machine out there you can buy with more than 6 GPUs.

0 Kudos
pwvdendr
Adept II

The windows drivers seem to contain a bug, which prevents all GPUs from working, but my topic about it doesn't seem to catch any answer.

Under linux, 8 GPUs worked, and I had not more issues then I usually have when trying to run linux. Then again, I really don't like working linux-only, and I strongly hope that the issue with the windows drivers will be fixed soon.

0 Kudos