Hi every one,
I'm using two R290 one a ubuntu 12.04 system with opencl (catalyst-13.12).
If I run: sudo amdconfig --list-adapters
* 0. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon R9 290 Series
1. 06:00.0 AMD Radeon R9 290 Series
witch is right
crossfire is off and clinfo show me the two cards.
I'm able to read clocks and temperature for the first card from ssh doing like this:
aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks && aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature
first strange thing, if I try to read fan speed :
$aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"
PPLIB command execution has failed!
ati_pplib_cmd: execute "get" failed!
the second is if I try to read clock and temps for the second card:
aticonfig --adapter=1 --od-getclocks && aticonfig --adapter=1 --od-gettemperature
Adapter 1 - AMD Radeon R9 290 Series
Core (MHz) Memory (MHz)
Current Clocks : 300 150
Performance Level : 0
Current Bus Speed : 2500
Current Bus Lane : 1
GPU load : 0%
Default Adapter - AMD Radeon R9 290 Series
Sensor: Temperature - 31.00 C
This is strange because the temperature is always from the 'default adapter' and the clocks even is is printed Adapter 1 are still from adapter zero. (I did some empirical load tests). Summarazing both information are still from adapter 0.
Third strange evidence is that even if from my application I select the device number 1 the number 0 is the one used!
What I'm missing?
Sorry nou - that is not helpful. I'm pretty sure nothing would be working without the export DISPLAY already set.
I also appear to have exactly the same issue with my two R9 290s running on a Gigabyte motherboard, AMD sempron processor, Xubuntu 13.04
As is popular these days, I'm using the cards for alt-currency mining, with the newly released sgminer software. This software is available in github. Issue 20 against that software relates to this issue, and I have added comments showing where things appear to be going wrong. I spent some time this week debugging and trying to eliminate possible errors, but it really looks as though the problem is in the drivers or ADL software.
I'm not an experienced Linux user, or C++ dev, but if you need further information or someone to try out some test code, then hopefully I can be of service.
Not for me, I have no onboard graphics. My motherboard is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. From memory, I'm using PCI-E slots 1 and 4, both are 16x slots.
I don't know if is connected, any way I add another detail.
When I use the gpu for computational purpose the temperature raise 93° as expected but the fan speed does not grow (I tried uber and quite mode without changes).
In fact I cannot read the fan speed (see the main post) but I can not feel any difference in terms of noise or wind out of the card.
Settings up manually with aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 50" the fan speed change as expected.