cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

madam
Journeyman III

Linux - 7790 memory clock doesn't rise up

I have installed AMD Radeon™ HD7790 Catalyst™ Performance Driver for Linux x86_64.

What I have found is aticonfig works a bit different way than it used to and I can't find any guide.

aticonfig --odsc x,y

used to set core clock and memory value. This time it ask for following values:

<NewCoreClock>,<NewMemoryClock>,<PowerState>,<Performance Level>

Unfortunately --lsp or --list-powerstates refused to work, --set-powerstate as well.

What is the value range for <PowerState>,<Performance Level>?

I've also noticed dynamic management of core and memory frequency work separately.

I need to set RAM frequency to a fixed value for some development.

How can I do this?

EDIT: I decided to move my post here as the issue is basically related to OpenCL.

Heavy memory usage algorithm is supposed to be in use, but memory core remains in the idle (150 MHz).

That is supposed to hit the performance of 7790 and 7770 cards below their 5xxx series counterparts in this particular situation.

To make sure I need to set up the memory clock of 7790 up to the peak value, but aticonfig refused cooperation.

aticonfig --help seems to be outdated as all I can find in there regards the situation we had before:

--odsc, --od-setclocks={NewCoreClock|0,NewMemoryClock|0}

Sets the core and memory clock to the values specified in MHz

The new clock values must be within the theoretical ranges provided

by --od-getclocks.  If a 0 is passed as either the NewCoreClock or

NewMemoryClock it will retain the previous value and not be changed.

There is no guarantee that the attempted clock values will succeed

even if they lay inside the theoretical range.  These newly set

clock values will revert to the default values if they are not

committed using the "--od-commitclocks" command before X is

restarted

but unfortunately it doesn't work any more.

Message was edited by: Marcin Adam

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

I will try it on my side and let you know. Thanks for the patience.

0 Likes
vmiura
Adept II

Hello, I'm having the same issue on a HD 7790.  In my case Core clock doesn't ramp up over 300 MHz even when under 100% GPU load.  Memory clock does seem to be increasing under load.

This is with driver packaging version 12.101.2.1 (the special 7790 driver release)

0 Likes

I found it's not related to driver version, or Linux or Windows.  It's VBIOS probloem with the Diamond brand HD 7790 boards.  I have 5 of them and they all have the same problem.  I have a HD 7790 from another brand which is working fine.

0 Likes
madam
Journeyman III

Problem with the Diamond 7790 was another issue specific to this brand. My memory jumps up to high clock but just not always when is needed.

Could anyone explain <PowerState> and <Performance Level> mysterious parameters and their usage?

Any way I could setup more aggressive clock upscaling or fixed RAM frequency?

That could be very useful since gpu and memory scaling got separated but most likely not perfect automatic power management.

0 Likes
jwadden
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issues. Was there a way to fix this by changing the VBIOS?

0 Likes