cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

eduardoschardong
Journeyman III

Kernel hangs...

I'm experiencing this strange bug I have a kernel that iterates x elements over each other (just for information, x is a bit more than 3 million) like:

int i = get_global_id(0);

if (i >= Length[0]) return;

int count = Length[0];

for (int j = 0; j < count; j++)

;//the iteration
Well... it hangs... replacing the "count" in "for" for 100 runs ok in about 7 second, replacing by 3200 it doesn't return (waited 24 hours), SKA shows that for up to 200 and a few it fully unroll the loop, for more than 215 or so it creates the loop but never execute the PREDNE_INT.
I didn't allowed it to run for all the 3 million iterations... I'm hoping to get the results from smaller constants first.
Also... There is anyway to interrupt long running kernels? I had to boot the computer...
And a sidebug but I'm not sure it's AMD's, I can't post a topic in IE9.

0 Likes
5 Replies

eduardo,
Is it possible to post a test case that shows the issue? We can look into or at least confirm that it is fixed for the upcoming 2.3 release.
0 Likes

I'm trying to get a simple test case, by doing a few more tests it looks it hangs when execution time exceeds one minute, more later.

0 Likes

I found that any kernel taking more than one min hangs no specific code, Windows 7 x64, HD5770, Cat 10.9

BTW, spliting my app in parts solved the problem, this would be needed anyway to run over multiple GPU but...

Please... Make opencl specific drivers that are not video drivers... Or at least a kill switch, pop corn and reset button are a painful workaround...

__kernel void test(__global int* Length, __global int* Count) { int j = 1; for(int i = 0; i < 3000000; i++) j *= Length[0] + i; Count[get_global_id(0)] = j; }

0 Likes

eduardoschardong,

I was not able to reproduce this issue on a vista machine on Juniper.

Have you tried catalyst 10.10.

0 Likes

On Catalyst 10.10 the watchdog timer kills after one minute...

Ok, all solved... But wasn't the watchdog timer supposed to kill after 5 minutes?

0 Likes