cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mordock2012
Journeyman III

Jocl OpenCL speed difference between processor and graphics card not what expected

Hello,

I am using JOCL to run some kernel against both the CPU and the graphics card. The processing works fairly quickly for the processor but takes forever for the graphics card(Actually I have never waited for it to finish..and I've ran the code all night).

Would anyone happen to know what could be causing a the speed difference between the graphics card and the CPU. I was expecting the graphics card to run things faster. As it stands, the processor finishes the task and the graphics card takes forever and has not finished yet.

0 Likes
1 Solution
notzed
Challenger

A GPU isn't suited to every algorithm, so even with the best code sometimes it wont be faster.  It should be on par though, so if it's "running forever" you simply have bugs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
hsaigol
Adept III

hi mordock2012

i dont think anyone here can give you an answer without looking at your code and more system details such as windows version, graphics card, driver version.

notzed
Challenger

A GPU isn't suited to every algorithm, so even with the best code sometimes it wont be faster.  It should be on par though, so if it's "running forever" you simply have bugs.

0 Likes