cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jch
Journeyman III

Is it possible that 1 PC runs on 4 x HD5970 (8 GPU)?

run on 8 GPU

I found a video at youtube. 

Uploader said that Pyrit Benchmark runs on 8 Cypress GPU's and scores over 280000 PMK/s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYSSnqpchaw

Is it possible? If it is possible, I want to use 8 GPU for CAL program.

0 Likes
5 Replies
DTop
Staff

What PMK/s means?

0 Likes
jch
Journeyman III

reference : pyrit - Project Hosting on Google Code

http://code.google.com/p/pyrit/

0 Likes

Yes, running 4xHD5970 is possible and quite easy actually, it only requires a few hacks and magical comands in linux console. I know, because it's my system that is shown on youtube video

It was done as a part of a resarch project for improving image reconstruction in tomography at the Computer Engineering Department of Technical University of Lodz, Poland. We are working on making all our algorithms use not only single GPU, but a lot of them. We've used pyrit benchmark to check how much actual computing power we have at our disposal. The first thing we've established is that 8 GPUs are just too much for pyrit - we get around 120-140k PMK on a single card and only 300k PMK on four of them. 

Right now we're waiting for new AMD drivers and SDK because we can run our programs on all GPUs in OpenCL in linux, just not in parallel - it's a bug and they know about it. In CAL everything works perfectly and ,as i was told, in OpenCL but on Windows.

0 Likes

I was about to buy four AMD Radeon HD5970 some time ago and then plug them in my Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer motherboard to run OpenCL applications fully utilizing the four cards. But with all those driver/SDK issues I've delayed my plan and I've bought just a single mid-range Radeon HD5750 card for evaluation purposes.

0 Likes

Hi, sectroyer.

Nice to meet you~

I think that AMD don't support radeon product for multi-gpu.

They only support FireStream product.

What do you hack?  mainboard's bios or amd's driver?

Are there heat problems on your system?

0 Likes