cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

landlord
Adept I

How many kernels can i enqueue into a host-side/device-side command queue?

I want to realize matrix caculation and every row of this matrix must wait for upper row's value.So i try to use one kernel to caculate all members of one row

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, there is a limit for queue size and it is implementation defined. The max. size of the device queue for a particular device can be queried using clGetDeviceInfo  with param CL_DEVICE_QUEUE_ON_ DEVICE_MAX_SIZE. There are few other related size limits that can be queried using params: CL_DEVICE_MAX_ON_DEVICE_QUEUES, CL_DEVICE_MAX_ON_DEVICE_EVENTS, CL_DEVICE_QUEUE_ON_ DEVICE_PREFERRED_SIZE. If the queue becomes full during the enqueue_kernel calls, it returns an error CLK_DEVICE_QUEUE_FULL.

One can set the size of the device queue using clCreateCommandQueueWithProperties with param CL_QUEUE_SIZE.

For example, clinfo prints information about the above parameters as below:

Max on device events:                 1024

Queue on device max size:          524288

Max on device queues:                1

Queue on device preferred size:  262144

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
landlord
Adept I

Using event list to keep sequential execution of kernels in host side.

My question is:

How many kernels can i enqueue into a host-side/device-side command queue? Is there any limitations?

0 Likes

Yes, there is a limit for queue size and it is implementation defined. The max. size of the device queue for a particular device can be queried using clGetDeviceInfo  with param CL_DEVICE_QUEUE_ON_ DEVICE_MAX_SIZE. There are few other related size limits that can be queried using params: CL_DEVICE_MAX_ON_DEVICE_QUEUES, CL_DEVICE_MAX_ON_DEVICE_EVENTS, CL_DEVICE_QUEUE_ON_ DEVICE_PREFERRED_SIZE. If the queue becomes full during the enqueue_kernel calls, it returns an error CLK_DEVICE_QUEUE_FULL.

One can set the size of the device queue using clCreateCommandQueueWithProperties with param CL_QUEUE_SIZE.

For example, clinfo prints information about the above parameters as below:

Max on device events:                 1024

Queue on device max size:          524288

Max on device queues:                1

Queue on device preferred size:  262144

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi,

I use clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(cmdqueue,...) to enqueue 1170 kernels(the matrix is 1170*1256) and each kernel has an event.The program running with no error reports. At the same time,clinfo prints the same result as you mentioned.

It seems no limitation in host-side cmdqueue,is that right?

I will test this program using device-side cmdqueue later.

Regards,

0 Likes

Actually the runtime maintains the host-side queue and can use the system resources as necessary to hold the large number of commands. Though there is no explicitly specified size limit for host-side queue in the OpenCL spec, however it is assumed to be large enough and depends on how that particular runtime manages it.

Regards,

0 Likes