Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

sajis997
Adept I

GPU Programming - Shader programming vs OpenCL

Hello forum,

I think that this issue is well discussed and is realised that GPGPU programming with OpenCL/CUDA  has more advantage than to work with common shader programming.

I encountered some places where both shader programming and OpenCL programming are used altogether and could not find the reason behind it.

Can you guys explain when do we usually bring together both the shader programming (GLSL/HLSL) and OpenCL/CUDA in a single application ?

Thanks

Sajjadul

0 Likes
2 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Helpful link which i found online http://www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/ucacbbl/cigpu2008/slides/shader-vs-cuda.pdf Here the discussion is between shader and cuda...

0 Likes

As I understand, shaders were a older way to use AMD GPUs for General purpose computing. They lacked a lot of features required for general computing and programmers were always in a way hacking the hardware, making it believe that it is drawing something. OpenCL and CUDA were much more formal approaches.

>> I encountered some places where both shader programming and OpenCL programming are used altogether and could not find the reason behind it.

>> Can you guys explain when do we usually bring together both the shader programming (GLSL/HLSL) and OpenCL/CUDA in a single application ?

I would only guess, you are working on a old application, originally written in shaders, and now being ported to OpenCL. But then I have never worked with shaders myself, so a more expert opinion is welcome

0 Likes