Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

plap
Journeyman III

GPU lockup if running OpenCL and playing video at the same time

- at least, high risk

I have experienced that if I run a fair number of iterations of my kernel while DVBViewer (a media player using EVR custom renderer, not using DXVA) is playing, that the risk for GPU lockup is very high.

It is only the GPU that locks up as I am still able to log in using SSH (cygwin sshd on Vista64/ATI5870).

Is this lockup to be expected? I never experience a lockup with that kernel if I do not run a video.

Normally the lockup occurs after 10-12 iterations, but without video I have run 400 iterations with no ill effect. I guess an iteration takes about 30 milliseconds.

0 Likes
57 Replies
empty_knapsack
Adept II

Also faced this problem -- Vista SP2, 5770, Catalyst 9.12, playing video with Windows Media Player while running any ATI Stream application (if it's actually running, i.e. making a lot of GPU kernel invocations not just executing single CAL sample) results in system lock up.

0 Likes
omkaranathan
Journeyman III

plap,

Which drivers are you using?

empty_knapsack,

Are you facing the problem with Catalyst 10.2 drivers too?

0 Likes
galmok
Journeyman III

I am using catalyst 10.2, SDK 2.01, Vista 64 but target is x86, not x64.

0 Likes
galmok
Journeyman III

plap=galmok (forum bug prevented me from using "galmok" for a while).

0 Likes
empty_knapsack
Adept II

omkaranathan,

Yes, using Catalyst 10.2 doesn't solve the problem. From beginning I've got report from one user that he got lockups with "Vista SP2, Sapphire 5850, Catalyst 10.2, Movie player is latest Media Player Classic Homecinema, using ffdshow nightly build to decode video, using EVR Sync output". I've suggested to use 9.12, he tried 9.12 and 9.10 but without any success. I by myself tested with 5770 & Catalysts 9.12 & 10.2 -- also always ends in lockup.

Looks like it's common issue for all HD 5XXX based GPUs.

0 Likes
omkaranathan
Journeyman III

galmok, empty_knapsack,

The issue has been reported to the developers and they are looking into it.

Thanks for reporting.

0 Likes
empty_knapsack
Adept II

OK, one year later almost the same problem arose with 6990 -- Catalyst 11.3, Windows Media Player, video playback with acceleration + GPGPU application running results in video driver lock up, watch dog timer, reset. This time it isn't whole system lock up but still it isn't possible to perform GPGPU calculation and watch videos (unless without hardware acceleration) at the same time.

I've also got report from user with 6950/11.3 about this problem. Not applies to 68xx though.

0 Likes
chrisjp
Journeyman III

Second this problem.  I'm using 11.4.

I also noticed that if running Video, the GPU clock will lock at 300 Mhz, thus leading to my thoroughput dropping by ~1/3.

0 Likes
ED1980
Adept II

I can also confirm that the simultaneous operation of applications using OpenCL and DirectCompute or DXVA, leads to the collapse of the system. If instead OpenCL, used CAL / IL / Brook +, the system remains stable
Win7x64 11.4preview HD6950

0 Likes