Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

richeek_arya
Journeyman III

Getting Access Violation in Write in Release Mode

Hi all,

I am using SDK 2.4 and Visual Studio 2010. My kernel runs fine in debug mode but I am getting access violations in write when I run the code in release mode.Any idea why this would happen only in release mode?

I have put printf statements in the kernel and kernel fails for some thread id > 0. Is it possible to put assert statements in the kernel  and break the kernel execution when assertion is violated?

How can I debug it? The problem is whenever violation occours, 90% of the time my system just freezes down and I have to reboot. So debugging has become a pain in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richeek

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Try using GDB to debug it in CPU mode.

Does the samples also fail in release mode?

Also mention your system details:CPU,GPU,SDK,CAtalyst,OS.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: himanshu.gautam Try using GDB to debug it in CPU mode.

Does the samples also fail in release mode?

Also mention your system details:CPU,GPU,SDK,CAtalyst,OS.

No, samples are passing. My kernel code fails but it is not repetitive. Sometime it fails but when I re-run the with exactly the same settings it passes. It shows access violation in writing. I check the call stack and aticaldd.dll seems to be crashing. My scratch register usage is > 0, could it be the cause of crash? I found out a old thread having similar issues but it seems that this bug has been taken care of now... so I am not sure why I have intermittant failure problem.

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=135108&highlight_key=y

My system details are as follows:

AMD Athlon II Quad Core

ATI Radeon 5450 Graphics Card

Windows 7 64 bit

SDK v2.4

Catalyst Version: 11.5

I am running my simulation in 32 bit mode.

Regards,

Richeek

0 Likes

aticaldd.dll fails on this instuction (if this helps)

6914C858  mov         dword ptr [eax],edx 

Video drive crashes too when I get access violation...

0 Likes

richeek,

I suggest you to post some test case here or file a ticket and attch you code there.

0 Likes