cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

hackerwolf
Adept II

fglrx fails to load on false-positive switchable graphics TOSHIBA laptop

Hi! I decided to write to this forum because I have an issue that is driving me crazy. Only two months ago I bought a new TOSHIBA laptop, a Satellite L850-1PD PSKG8E-U05500UIT (http://it.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-L850-1PD/1142961/), equipped with an Intel i7 3630QM CPU and a Radeon HD7670M w/2GB VRAM. I use GNU/Linux by 5 years and more but I've never had a similar issue: after I've installed Ubuntu 12.10, logically, I start to install the fglrx video driver, but after the reboot I get black screen (LDM doesn't load) and the following Xorg error:

fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!

fglrx(0): GetBIOSParameter failed

fglrx(0): PreInitConfig failed

After reading hundreds of web pages, I've discovered that this error is caused by an incorrect detection of video card: the OS looks for in-CPU Intel HD400 GPU, but this one is disabled via BIOS by TOSHIBA. As suggested here, I should change some BIOS graphic options, but obviously my BIOS doesn't have any of these options!!!

So I gently ask if there is a sort of workaround or fix to get the driver working properly.

Thanks in advance!!

0 Likes
1 Solution
hackerwolf
Adept II

Issue solved!!!

I installed last beta (Catalyst 13.2 beta6) and it finally works!!!! Only I have an ugly watermark on bottom right that says "AMD Testing use only". Any idea to remove it?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
31 Replies