Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

hackerwolf
Adept II

fglrx fails to load on false-positive switchable graphics TOSHIBA laptop

Jump to solution

Hi! I decided to write to this forum because I have an issue that is driving me crazy. Only two months ago I bought a new TOSHIBA laptop, a Satellite L850-1PD PSKG8E-U05500UIT (http://it.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-L850-1PD/1142961/), equipped with an Intel i7 3630QM CPU and a Radeon HD7670M w/2GB VRAM. I use GNU/Linux by 5 years and more but I've never had a similar issue: after I've installed Ubuntu 12.10, logically, I start to install the fglrx video driver, but after the reboot I get black screen (LDM doesn't load) and the following Xorg error:

fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!

fglrx(0): GetBIOSParameter failed

fglrx(0): PreInitConfig failed

After reading hundreds of web pages, I've discovered that this error is caused by an incorrect detection of video card: the OS looks for in-CPU Intel HD400 GPU, but this one is disabled via BIOS by TOSHIBA. As suggested here, I should change some BIOS graphic options, but obviously my BIOS doesn't have any of these options!!!

So I gently ask if there is a sort of workaround or fix to get the driver working properly.

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hackerwolf
Adept II

Re: fglrx fails to load on false-positive switchable graphics TOSHIBA laptop

Jump to solution

Issue solved!!!

I installed last beta (Catalyst 13.2 beta6) and it finally works!!!! Only I have an ugly watermark on bottom right that says "AMD Testing use only". Any idea to remove it?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

While we look at this issue here, Can you also check with Toshiba on this? May be, they have an alternate BIOS image that can help you out...

0 Kudos
hackerwolf
Adept II

Jump to solution

It would be great but it's impossible. The BIOS update published by TOSHIBA is older than my BIOS running on my laptop; and if you ask them the reason because the Intel HD4000 is disabled, they answer that the GPU isn't disabled but "helps" the Radeon

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

Since switchable graphics should work automatically (assuming) -- Can you try fglrx instllation with AC power cord plugged in?

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion

0 Kudos
hackerwolf
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've already tried with no success, and like now, I usually use the machine only with AC, the battery is unplugged.

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

Hi,

I dont understand why you have to unplug your battery...

As far as switchable graphics goes, it is upto the laptop vendor on how he implements it.

Some of them implement a hardware-switch. Others, implement a software to switch.

Some others do it transparently with no user control.

How has Toshiba done it? Any idea? I hope that hardware logic is not tied to the presence/absence of battery.

Thats why I am concerned about your unplugged battery..

0 Kudos
hackerwolf
Adept II

Jump to solution

I unplug the battery to don't wreck it... a fully charged battery still plugged to the AC for a long time it's destinated to have a short life; I had this bad experience with a previous laptop.

Regarding the issue, the laptop has no switchable graphics in any way. Only the HD760M is working. The obstacle isn't represented by how TOSHIBA sets graphic options, but how the OS detects them. We have to consider the laptop as an old model with only one GPU. fglrx (or the kernel) fails in this detection: it detects switchable graphic, shows the related error, but actually there's no switchable graphic and no options to set or edit it via BIOS.

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

Sorry... I misunderstood and got carried away by Switchable graphics... Now I see why you have listed False +ve.

ok,

Instead of loading Fglrx through ubuntu, Can I suggest you to have a look at  http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx ?

Please download the driver from the site above and update. This might help.

0 Kudos
hackerwolf
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've tried everything. Ubuntu packages, normal AMD .run installation, building deb packages from AMD .run, stable and beta, but nothing to do.

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

Okay, I will check with the AMD driver team on this. If your problem is solvable, it will be solved 🙂

0 Kudos