cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dkissick
Journeyman III

Dual GPU detection problem on Linux

I just installed a discrete GPU (7970) in my computer than already had a APU (5800-K) in it and runs Linux Mint 14. Following the instructions from other discussions (http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1279453#1279453), I run 'sudo amdconfig --adapter=all --initial' and 'export COMPUTE=:0'. In addition to causing known problems with the cinnamon desktop manager, I can't seem to detect the discrete GPU unless a monitor is plugged in to it. With a monitor plugged in to both the integrated and discrete adapters, clinfo reports what I expect. I unplug the monitor from the discrete card and clinfo lists the integrated GPU twice and completely misses the discrete one. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there a good way to configure the X server to use the integrated device for the monitor and still be able to use the discrete card for computation?

0 Likes
1 Solution
5 Replies
foomanchoo
Adept I

i had a similar problem: clinfo would list the same pci bus:dev:fn twice and only use a single core of a 5970.

after trying various combinations of multi-gpu/xfire settings (aticonfig) in vain, the problem solved itself when

i upgraded from 12-10 to 13-1.

0 Likes

Thanks for this reply, but it makes me worried that dual gpus will just never work for me. I think that I am using driver version 13.1. Here's what I've done: After a fresh install of the OS. I downloaded the latest installer and ran it with the flag "--buildandinstallpkg Ubuntu/quantal". Then I installed the latest version (2.8) of the APP SDK.

If this differs from what you did, could you please let me know what you did that made it work?

0 Likes

There may also be bios settings involved. Did you check that the 7970 is enabled in the bios? What is the contents of your xorg.conf?

0 Likes

It could solve the problem if you say exactly to export a display  with the command below,
"export DISPLAY=:0"

It solved my problem. I have the 12.10 driver

You should check a lot of things, I think you should do follow these steps,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

p.s.: Strange things can happen, when I don't allow the X-fire in the CCC the clGetPlatformIDs() function causes me segfault...

0 Likes