cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vish108
Journeyman III

Does AMD OpenCL work with Intel HD 4000 as a GPU device

I have a laptop which comes with Intel HD 4000 graphics. I am running Ubuntu 12.04. With this configuration, I figured that AMD OpenCL SDK will work. Now, when I ran some opencl examples that come with the AMD OpenCL SDK, the SDK used the CPU, because no GPU device could be recognized.

The System Details screen shows "Graphics Intel® Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2". Running lspci shows:

$lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor
Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
  Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:2208]
  Kernel driver in use: i915
  Kernel modules: i915

I believe that this confirms that Intel HD 4000 is working on my machine. But I am not sure why it is not being recognized by the opencl examples as a GPU device. Please help.

Thank you.

Vishal

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Vishal,

You need to install OpenCL from Intel if you want that device to be listed.

Note:

Intel, AMD etc.. are OpenCL Platforms.

Multiple platforms can co-exist.

Even if you link against the libraries in any 1 platform, ICD (installable client driver) mechanism (which is already in place..) will make sure that your program gets to know all the platforms present in the system (i.e. clGetPlatformIds() will return everything that is there)

You can quickly verifying by running "clinfo"

"clinfo" ships with AMD APP SDK (or probably their driver or both)....

After installing Intel SDK, just run clinfo -- It should show both AMD and Intel devices.

HTH

Thank you for the reply. The reason why I installed AMD's OpenCL SDK is

because Intel's SDK for LINUX works only for Xeon processors. My machine

has core-i5 processors. So is there no way I could use Intel HD 4000 as a

GPU device along with AMD's OpenCL SDK?

Thank you,

Vishal

0 Likes

as intel provide only opensource driver for their GPU under Linux, which doesn't support OpenCL yet, you are out of luck.

0 Likes

Vishal,

AMD's GPU expertise comes from ATI aquisition long time back...

And, Intel is dabbling around with GPUs of their own make.....

There is no way for AMD OpenCL Runtime to understand what goes inside Intel GPUs.. No way...

But the case is different for CPUs. Intel & AMD share a common x86 arch for CPU.

So, AMD APP SDK may run fine on Intel CPUs....(I have tried with few CPUs. it has workd. But me not sure what is officially supported)

HTH,

Best Regards,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes