cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Claggy
Adept II

Dlls from Catalyst driver left behind after uninstallation

I hope the fix will be in the next driver release, as you can't easily downgrade to an earlier Catalyst driver/APP runtime,

when you use the Catalyst Installer/uninstaller you end up up with all the ATI & AMD files left in the System32 and SysWOW64 directories, I'd say that is a Bug,

and when you run an earlier Catalyst installer it won't over write the newer OpenCL runtime, i'd say that is also a Bug,

To downgrade from Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 back down to Catalyst 12.8 i had to delete 35 files from the System32 directory and 26 from the SysWOW64 directory, i think i got them all, Catalyst 12.8 now installed.

Claggy

0 Likes
13 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi claggy,

Can you please give the list of 35 files from System32 and 26 files from SysWOW64 that you had to delete manually.

Also Are you considering here, the files that come in APP SDK?

0 Likes

I haven't installed the APP SDK separately, so these files only came from the Catalyst driver install,

I've kept the files in separate folders on my desktop, they are:

System32, they all had a date of 02/12/2012, with the exception of OpenVideo64.dll, OVDecode64.dll, amdocl64.dll and OpenCL.dll which had a date of 15/11/2012:

amdave64.dll
amdocl64.dll
amdpcom64.dll
atiadlxx.dll
atiapfxx.blb
atiapfxx.exe
aticalcl64.dll
aticaldd64.dll
aticalrt64.dll
aticfx64.dll
atidemgy.dll
atidxx64.dll
atieclxx.exe
atiedu64.dll
atiesrxx.exe
atig6pxx.dll
atig6txx.dll
atiglpxx.dll
atimpc64.dll
atimuixx.dll
atio6axx.dll
atisamu64.dll
atitmm64.dll
atiu9p64.dll
atiumd6a.cap
atiumd6a.dll
atiumd64.dll
atiuxp64.dll
ativvsva.dat
ativvsvl.dat
clinfo.exe
coinst_9.01.8.dll
OpenCL.dll
OpenVideo64.dll
OVDecode64.dll

SysWOW64, they also all have a date of 02/12/2012, with the exception of OpenVideo.dll, OVDecode.dll, amdocl.dll and OpenCL.dll which have a date of 15/11/2012:

amdave32.dll
amdocl.dll
amdpcom32.dll
ati2edxx.dll
atiadlxy.dll
atiapfxx.blb
aticalcl.dll
aticaldd.dll
aticalrt.dll
aticfx32.dll
atidxx32.dll
atigktxx.dll
atiglpxx.dll
atimpc32.dll
atioglxx.dll
atisamu32.dll
atiu9pag.dll
atiumdag.dll
atiumdva.cap
atiumdva.dll
atiuxpag.dll
ativvsva.dat
ativvsvl.dat
OpenCL.dll
OpenVideo.dll
OVDecode.dll

Claggy

0 Likes

Thanks for the details. Will check it out , next week.

Hi claggy,

I did not checked out each and every file, but could see a similar set of files which is left after uninstalling 12.10 catalyst driver. I did a clean uninstall after that using the uninstall utility from here . Most of those dll were cleaned up, after uninstalling using this utility. After that I had installed 13.1 driver, again uninstalled it using the utility and then installed 12.10 driver (downgrade) without any issues.

I will let the appropriate team know about the files which were still present after uninstalling using the utility.

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Can you expand the Uninstall tool to Windows Vista and XP please, when i tried it on Vista, it said it was for Windows 7,

while i can sort my Vista machine out myself, i have a user on XP who needs it,

because OpenCL support has been deprecated on Cat 12.2 and later drivers for XP, this user has upgraded to a driver where OpenCL support is not available, and needs to back down to an earlier driver/APP runtime,

(I believe that looking for for OpenCL support was causing her Laptop to reboot, and installing the earlier driver didn't help)

Claggy

0 Likes

Hi claggy,

I have forwarded your request to appropriate people. Thanks for your help.

For convenience, I have branched out your problem out of the old thread, as raistmer is still active there with his own problem.

0 Likes

Has there been any progress getting the Catalyst Uninstall Utility suitable for Windows XP, Vista and 8?

It's been almost a Month since version 1.2.1.0 was released.

Claggy

0 Likes

Hi claggy,

I have asked the AMD Engg Team for the status.

Please be patient, as IMHO Windows XP might not be a priority. Although Windows8 should be.

0 Likes

himanshu.gautam wrote:

Hi claggy,

I have asked the AMD Engg Team for the status.

Please be patient, as IMHO Windows XP might not be a priority. Although Windows8 should be.

Another two months have gone by, the User i was wanting the XP Uninstall Utility for, is the same Setiahome project scientist that questioned having AMD/ATI apps at his project:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/forum_thread.php?id=1964&postid=44518

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/forum_thread.php?id=2021&postid=45545

Edit: He seems to have fixed his Wife's computer now and managed to revert it to an older driver where OpenCL support is still available.

Also i've seen no improvement in the uninstallers up to Cat 13.3 Beta 3 in removing files installed in System32 and sysWOW64 directories.

Claggy

0 Likes

The uninstaller utility will remain a separate entity, and is likely to have more previleges than Catalyst Install Manager(CIM). Windows 8 support has been considered, but Windows XP is not a priority as of now.

Is it not possible for your customers to move to Win7/Win8? Anyways a proper install/ uninstall using CIM does not cause any serious issues for me. I have downgraded between 12.10, 13.1 and internal drivers many times.

0 Likes

Himanshu, you saw issues that arise because of this partial uninstallation earlier and even was caught by them itself.

Look thread with same name and your own attempt to reproduce Catalyst 12.10 issues.

When AMD will release only working drivers there will no need in uninstall utility improvement.

But if AMD will continue to release half-baked drivers the rollback feature will be required.

Reality is that we can not recommend users to keep their drivers up to date cause there is no warranty that

new driver will operate and no warranty that user will be able to restore PC operational state after such upgrade

w/o complete OS reinstall.

And no, "Claggy's customers" can't all upgrade to Win7 at least because of their number.

0 Likes

Hi Raistmer,

I do understand your problem in upgrading to Windows7. I will let the utility team know about this feedback.

I guess the uninstaller issues you have been mentioning are mostly related to Windows XP. All my experiments so far had been on Win7, where the uninstaller utility is anyhow present.

0 Likes

Problem not in updating to Win7, problem in overall quality of AMD Catalyst drivers. Hence the need of uninstall utility. Under Windows XP too.

0 Likes