cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Anteru
Staff

Deploying the OpenCL runtime

I have an application which requires OpenCL, and I'm preparing the installation packages right now. For users with a GPU, that's no big deal, as all I need to do is to validate the driver version as the Catalyst driver package comes with OpenCL runtimes included. However, if no GPU is present, I must decide whether to install the Intel CPU or the AMD CPU runtime. Is there a standalone installer for the AMD CPU runtime? What is the recommended way to decide if the AMD CPU runtime should be installed? Currently, I'm asking the user to install the APP SDK, which is no good installation experience.

0 Likes
3 Replies
nou
Exemplar

there is opencl.msi in catalyst installer. maybe that will help you? try extract it and use that.

0 Likes
Steveyoungs
Journeyman III

I had a similar question back in July 2011. You can see the message here

http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1247437

I then followed that up with a lengthy offline conversation with AMD the conclusion of which was that end-users had to install the Catalyst driver in order to get the OpenCL runtime. Just using the opencl.msi from the catalyst driver was not a supported mechanism.

I still, like you, think it would be good to have a standalone OpenCL runtime installer. Intel offer one. As applications, we could install this runtime and be certain that at least OpenCL on CPU would work.

Steve

0 Likes

That sucks; as the Catalyst won't install if you have a CPU only without an AMD GPU.

0 Likes